• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi there...starting from scratch really...

minipixiie

New Kit
Hi there,

I am 30 years old and live out the outskirts of Bedfordshire, UK

Animals I currently have:

Cat - Winnie - 18 months old - Black Short Hair (with possible Oriental in her).

Hamster - Cookie - 6 months old - White, Brown, Black - Syrian

Corn Snake - Inca - 3 1/2 years old - Grey, Black, White - Anerythristic

Corn Snake - Aztec - 2 1/2 years old - Orange, Red, Black - Okeetee

Tarantulas - Mystery, Truffle, Holly, Zoe, Ember and Aqua - different ages and species

I have had rabbits before when I was really young, but as I know that times have changed for rabbits, I thought that I would start from scratch again...so I do have a few probably basic questions to ask please:

1) Where would be the best route to go looking for a new bunny addition (or two if I can persuade parents lol)? I am thinking of rescue, but I've got no idea where the best sites to look at for them.

2) As I am going to have to keep the bunnies outside (or possibly even in a small shed if...again...I can persuade parents), what would be the best type of hutch to get them? Same with a run as well?

3) From what I have started reading, is it right about a neutered boy and girl being the best type of pairing?

4) I know that rabbits have to have vaccines for Miximytosis(sp), but are there other vaccines that are needed as well?

5) Any other help would be absolutely appreciated...

Minipixie

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Hi there,

I am 30 years old and live out the outskirts of Bedfordshire, UK

Animals I currently have:

Cat - Winnie - 18 months old - Black Short Hair (with possible Oriental in her).

Hamster - Cookie - 6 months old - White, Brown, Black - Syrian

Corn Snake - Inca - 3 1/2 years old - Grey, Black, White - Anerythristic

Corn Snake - Aztec - 2 1/2 years old - Orange, Red, Black - Okeetee

Tarantulas - Mystery, Truffle, Holly, Zoe, Ember and Aqua - different ages and species

I have had rabbits before when I was really young, but as I know that times have changed for rabbits, I thought that I would start from scratch again...so I do have a few probably basic questions to ask please:

1) Where would be the best route to go looking for a new bunny addition (or two if I can persuade parents lol)? I am thinking of rescue, but I've got no idea where the best sites to look at for them.

a pair of ready bonded rabbits is best, you can look for your local rescues on rabbits rehome

2) As I am going to have to keep the bunnies outside (or possibly even in a small shed if...again...I can persuade parents), what would be the best type of hutch to get them? Same with a run as well?

A shed or playhouse with an attached run would be best, the rwaf recommends a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ftx 6ft

3) From what I have started reading, is it right about a neutered boy and girl being the best type of pairing?

Yes, this is considered the most successful long term bond.

4) I know that rabbits have to have vaccines for Miximytosis(sp), but are there other vaccines that are needed as well?

they need the combined myxamotosis/vhd1 vaccine plus the new vhd2 vaccine.

5) Any other help would be absolutely appreciated...

As well as space and company they need unlimited hay and around an egg cup full of hay, plus forage daily. They can be litter trained by using a large litter tray, I use underbed storage boxes with woodpellet cat litter topped with hay. If you use non slip vynil on the floor it is easier to keep clean. Good luck :thumb: there's lots of inspiration in the housing stickies.

Minipixie

Hello and welcome to RU!

Your local RSPCA will probably have rabbits available for adoption. Try searching RSPCA on Facebook as most branches have a page on there. There is also the Rabbit Rehome site http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

I keep my buns as house rabbits so can't help with number 2 I'm afraid

Rabbits are individuals so some pairs work others don't, I have two boys (brothers) who get on great. You're right about them being neutered, don't attempt to bond until they're neutered. If you go to a rescue you could get an already bonded pair, so you wouldn't have to go through the process of trying to bond your rabbits.

There are two vaccinations 1. is a combination vaccination to protect against Myxi & VHD 1 (Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) annually. In addition there is a nasty VHD 2 that has emerged in the last few years which rabbits also require vaccination against. Unfortunately not all vets are 1. aware of it and 2. stock the vaccine. This page on Facebook should help you on this https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

In terms of diet, it should be mainly hay, hay and more hay (and plenty of fresh water). Hay helps keep a rabbits teeth worn down and promotes good digestive health. Common health complaints for rabbits are teeth related (which can result in eye problems, loss of appetite) and / or digestion related. If a rabbit is stressed, in pain etc they can stop eating and when a rabbit stops eating it's serious and can be fatal. So if you can prevent teeth problems and keep your rabbit eating you improve your chances that they'll stay healthy and HAY HAY HAY is the way (LOL, sorry I'm getting a bit carried away here).

Good luck in finding a pair of bunnies. Come back and ask more questions when you're ready :D

A warm welcome to RU. I'm in Mikton Keynes so your closest rescues are the likes of The Rabbit Residence near Royston. A smashing rescue - I had two lovely sisters from there.

Some excellent advice above. I'd recommend hay by the bale from a farm if you have room to store it. Way cheaper than the grotty stuff you get in pet shops and usually a firm favourite with the bunnies. Otherwise. Places like The Hay Experts do some lovely hay. Just an eggcup full of pellets max per day (mine have a level tablespoon between 2 bunnies once a day) and lots of leafy green veg (not lettuce).

Back