• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He isn't eating.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Dexter ate his pellets last night as normal at around 9pm and I don't think he's eaten anything since! I've been up all night with him trying to get him to eat something,he is refusing to eat everything,even his favourite foods,(dried apple/pellets) and he's been sitting in a hunched position alot. I've seem him do one poo which was massive and wet but that's it. I can't take him to the vets until 10 am as that's when they open. What should I do? Is this Stasis? This is the poo

Dexter ate his pellets last night as normal at around 9pm and I don't think he's eaten anything since! I've been up all night with him trying to get him to eat something,he is refusing to eat everything,even his favourite foods,(dried apple/pellets) and he's been sitting in a hunched position alot. I've seem him do one poo which was massive and wet but that's it. I can't take him to the vets until 10 am as that's when they open. What should I do? Is this Stasis? This is the poo

Poor lad

I would make sure he is warm and if he is not drinking at all give him some cooled boiled water by syringe if he will not get too stressed by you doing so. I would not attempt to syringe feed him until a Vet has examined him. He clearly has a digestive upset of some sort, but until an obstruction further up the GI tract is ruled out syringe feeding may do more harm than good.

Warmth and some fluids are really all you can provide for him until you can get him to the Vet. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

I just tried to give him water through a syringe and he's really not letting me do it at all. I'm keeping him in his carrier with vet bed,blankets and hay. Hopefully this will keep him warm. He did do a dead bunny flop twice for about a minute at a time but he went back into his hunched position after.

The vets want to keep him in because he has a low temperature(36.4) and They think he might have an infection but they will ring me later. I'm going to go into Pets at home/Jollyes to buy all of his favourite hay and treats.

I'm sorry that Dexter is unwell. Sending loads of vibes. I hope he improves while staying at the vets.

The vets want to keep him in because he has a low temperature(36.4) and They think he might have an infection but they will ring me later. I'm going to go into Pets at home/Jollyes to buy all of his favourite hay and treats.

I really hope that Dexter will respond to treatment xx

I am glad your vet's are taking this really seriously and keeping him in.

Sending loads and loads of vibes for him to get better soon xx

Thanks everyone,I rang the vets at around 5pm to see how he is doing and they said no change,he is still not eating. I got the impression that they were not syringe feeding which worries me. I'm terrified I'll get a call tomorrow morning to say that he's dead.

Thanks everyone,I rang the vets at around 5pm to see how he is doing and they said no change,he is still not eating. I got the impression that they were not syringe feeding which worries me. I'm terrified I'll get a call tomorrow morning to say that he's dead.

Well I guess he will be on gut motility drugs? Can you pop in and see him and get an idea what they are doing? (or at least give them a call ..) Has he had some sub cut fluids do you know?

Sending best vibes xx

Well I guess he will be on gut motility drugs? Can you pop in and see him and get an idea what they are doing? (or at least give them a call ..) Has he had some sub cut fluids do you know?

Sending best vibes xx
Unfortunately no as they close at 6pm. They didn't explain much to me yet,I'll ring as soon as they open at 10am and ask in more detail. Maybe I will be allowed to see him.

Unfortunately no as they close at 6pm. They didn't explain much to me yet,I'll ring as soon as they open at 10am and ask in more detail. Maybe I will be allowed to see him.

Do the nurses look after him even though they don't answer the phone (cos shut)?

Sending more vibes for Dexter, its so worrying when they are in hospital & you don't know whats happening. I'd write a list of questions you'd like to ask the vet first thing tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some positive news by then too x

Back