• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding to another rabbit

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I'm posting for long term family friends.

They lost their dad to cancer in 2012/2013 and shortly after this got themselves a house rabbit (the daughter was struggling with the loss).
She's a Netherland Dwarf and I've no doubt is very loved (although she lives in a small cage while they're out - they worry about damage to their dad's possessions but she's free range when they are home).

Anyway, the rabbit is highly bonded to the daughter. Like incredibly bonded.
The son wants them to introduce another rabbit but they're not sure if their girl would accept another rabbit as she's bonded to the daughter.

She used to live with another rabbit prior to coming to them but her husbun passed away before they got her.

Do you think the bond with the daughter would make bonding more difficult? I've offered to go down there and assist/do the bonding for them if they can't find a rescue that would do it.

The other issue is the nethie has very narrow nasal passages and struggles with breathing, she has repeat courses of baytril to help clear some of the mucus occasionally. (The vet has confirmed it's not snuffles). Could this affect the bonding?

She's a very grumpy rabbit - lots of growling and will nip if it's not how she wants it. They don't know if she's been spayed. They got her when she was 2/3 years old and previous owner didn't know either.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't think the bond with the daughter would make bonding more difficult, whilst they may be very connected when they are together - what about when the daughter isn't at home?

With regards to the nasal passages this could affect the bonding, especially if she's having a bit of trouble during the time they are trying to bond, as it may make her feel the need to 'protect' herself - which would most likely be in the form of nips and growls, etc. And I don't know how severe the breathing issues are, but if there is a lot of chasing, she may find herself struggling to breathe, so would need to be watched very carefully.

I think though, if you find just the rabbit bunny companion for her, it should be okay. The main issue for me is whether or not she has been spayed. To my knowledge the only certain way to check if a female has been spayed is to go ahead with the aim to 'spay' and see inside whether she has been or not. Her being so grumpy would suggest that she hasn't, or she could just be a little diva! ;)

Thank you for the reply.
Because of her breathing and unknown age they don't want to do investigative surgery to see if she's spayed. (Just going by her general appearance I'd say she's around 7 or 8 years now).

I'll let them know there is hope and really try to encourage them to get her a friend.

I've given them lots of tips on ways to give her more to do, and given them advice on making a larger cage for her. (Difficult as they don't throw out any of their dad's old stuff)

I would think she might find it difficult to accept another rabbit and the stress would not do her breathing issues any good. I would advise to keep her as she is.

Thank you for the reply.
Because of her breathing and unknown age they don't want to do investigative surgery to see if she's spayed. (Just going by her general appearance I'd say she's around 7 or 8 years now).

I'll let them know there is hope and really try to encourage them to get her a friend.

I've given them lots of tips on ways to give her more to do, and given them advice on making a larger cage for her. (Difficult as they don't throw out any of their dad's old stuff)

No problem.
Of course, I didn't take her breathing issues into consideration when I mentioned spaying. Make sure that they are aware that it isn't as easy to bond rabbits who aren't neutered.

I'm sure they really appreciate your advice. If they do go ahead with getting her a companion they'll need take it really slowly, as Tonibun said, the stress will have an affect on her breathing too.

There are a lot of different factors here, so they'll need to consider all of them before making a decision.

That's why they want to find somewhere that will bond for them.
If not I'm happy to go and do the bonding. Her breathing doesn't affect her too badly, but I may suggest they give her a course of baytril before starting any bonding so her nasal passages are as clear as possible.

Back