• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sage Piggie - April 2013 - 13/07/16

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
P1010475_zpshcm13383.jpg

A baby Sage Piggie

P1010471_zps2vqhoxve.jpg

With a baby Parsley

Sage Piggy has joined his hutch/littermate, Parsley, about one month after Parsley's passing. This morning, Sage was a little out of sorts, and then early this afternoon, he was gone. He's been buried beside Parsley.

The guinea pigs were always my mother's, but I helped to look after them. When we went to pick a boar piggie, Mum ended up coming home with two. It was better for them that they had company of their own kind, but Sage and Parsley didn't always see eye to eye.

Sage was always the more lively of the two - and the cleverer at that. He was quite boistorous and would always push Parsley around a bit and assert his dominance. Unlike Parsley, Sage was a lot more shy around people - always far more reluctant to be picked up and so on. He was also quieter when it came to getting people's attention, until Parsley was gone. Then, I could hear Sage squeaking from his new garden home when I was in my bedroom.

Sage, I think, enjoyed his last month alone. He and Parsley often spent summer outside in an apex run (and came in for winter). This summer, we attached a second hand 4ft "rabbit" hutch to the run, with a ramp, and he enjoyed racing up and down the ramp. He moved out "for good" on the day of Parsley's death. Whenever I put food in the run, he would saunter out for a minute or so, go grab some grass from near River and Takumi's run, then turned around and headed back in. It made me laugh - and bond somewhat better with him more than it had done for years.

As he didn't do his saunter this morning, I knew that something was up. I didn't expect it to happen this quickly.

Mum has already decided that Sage is her last guinea pig, so although he was clearly ready to go, it's a little bittersweet. Especially as, like Parsley, he was rather young. It could have been something to do with the fact they were from a BYB, it could be something else. I don't know; my guinea pig knowledge isn't that sharp. It probably should be better than it is. Still, there will be no more guinea pigs at this address; Mum could never replace her soul piggie, Sammy, no matter how hard she tried.

Popcorn free, little man. You were a sweet pig and deserved better. xxx

Back