• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny is afraid of an older bunny

pikkupupu

New Kit
So I have these two bunnies Vertti (which is soon to be 2 years old male) ja Roo (who is 9 weeks old male). I got Roo last Saturday. And we have a problem with bonding which is that Roo is afraid of Vertti. I've put the cages next to each other and now Roo feels safe to sniff Vertti through the cages. But when I let them run in a same space Roo just runs away from Vertti when Vertti tries to come near him. How should I manage with this situation? Cause if Roo keeps running away from Vertti it kinda hard to them to get to know each other. Thanks for reading and every tip is welcome.

Firstly, a lot of adult rabbits would attack and maybe kill a baby rabbit, so no wonder baby bun is scared!

Secondly, is your older bun neutered?

Third - when both your male rabbits are neutered you might be lucky and be able to bond them but there is no guarantee.

Your older rabbit will enjoy having a friend but certain guidelines should be followed to alleviate the risk of him attacking and injurying the younger one.

Firstly, a lot of adult rabbits would attack and maybe kill a baby rabbit, so no wonder baby bun is scared!

Secondly, is your older bun neutered?

Third - when both your male rabbits are neutered you might be lucky and be able to bond them but there is no guarantee.

Your older rabbit will enjoy having a friend but certain guidelines should be followed to alleviate the risk of him attacking and injurying the younger one.

The older one doesn't seem agressive towards the little one. He even tries to give him some own space when he approaches. So are you saying I should wait for the little one to grow up and then put them together? That doesn't sound right for me because the territorial fights then.

As Tonibun said, your little rabbit will be terrified. You really need to keep them completely apart, have the little one castrated and, when he has healed, start the bonding process in completely neutral territory. They are not safe to be put together. It may not seem right to you, but for the safety of your baby rabbit and for you to stand any chance of bonding in the future, it really is the right thing to do. Bonding isn't easy but if you follow step by step guide (lots of advice on here) and don't try to rush things, things will hopefully turn out successfully.

As Tonibun said, your little rabbit will be terrified. You really need to keep them completely apart, have the little one castrated and, when he has healed, start the bonding process in completely neutral territory. They are not safe to be put together. It may not seem right to you, but for the safety of your baby rabbit and for you to stand any chance of bonding in the future, it really is the right thing to do. Bonding isn't easy but if you follow step by step guide (lots of advice on here) and don't try to rush things, things will hopefully turn out successfully.
Okay. Then I'll do that and wait. Thanks for your (both) advice. I really hope things work out someday.

Okay. Then I'll do that and wait. Thanks for your (both) advice. I really hope things work out someday.

By following the advice you stand the best possible chance of it working. Look forward to seeing some positive updates. Don't forget you can always come back for guidance on neutral area etc when the time comes. Lots of patience needed ... but it will be worth it in the end.

By following the advice you stand the best possible chance of it working. Look forward to seeing some positive updates. Don't forget you can always come back for guidance on neutral area etc when the time comes. Lots of patience needed ... but it will be worth it in the end.

Back