• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello, couple of questions before I get a rabbit

Sammysdct

Young Bun
Hello, I am hoping that within the few weeks I will be a proud bunny mum. I've just got to wait to get permission from the council. Housing officer has said 'it would be reasonable" (I assume that means yes). I've just got to wait for him to check with supervisor and get the permission in writing. I have 2 young children, aged 4 & 7, but the rabbit isn't really for them, its for me. I'm a SAHM who is in a new area, and finding myself very lonely, especially when the girls are at school. I'm currently keeping myself sane by getting things things ready for bun. Can't wait to get the basics out of the way & start working on the toys. :)

I have looked at various breeds and living in a flat I wanted a smaller breed, so I have been thinking about a Mini Rex (so soft). I am planning to convert a large chest of drawers and Ikea bookcase combined to make a bunny 'cage'. This will mostly be for its early litter training days, where I will be letting it out with me supervised during the day without the girls there (and morning & evening when girls are asleep). Once I have certain that the girls will behave around the rabbit, and that my rabbit proofing is sufficient, I will be letting it out free range for the majority of the day, but putting it back at night. My cage will be about 2 inches narrower than the recommended 2 foot. There will be sections over 2 foot high. but the 2 clear 'run' sections will only be 5 foot long.

I know this will be a little smaller than recommended, but do you think this would be OK?

The wood for the ramp is smooth, I was going to use skateboard grip tape to provide traction as it is very similar to what is on a commercial hutch ramp my friend has. As it is only in this small part, do you think there is likely to be any problems for its feet?

Next question - Litter - I know that litter such as yesterday's news is good for rabbits. However I have seen various instructions on the internet on how to make your own for cats. Basically its 'cleaning' newspaper with washing up liquid & water, rinsing, adding baking soda, crumbling over a sheet & leaving to dry. From my experiments so far I have discovered that the addition of washing up liquid does not seem to remove any more ink that just water. If I was to make this without the washing up liquid, would it be ok for bunny? Do I need to leave out the baking soda too?

Another question - I am planning to spend some time foraging, gathering dandelions / nettles / grass / bramble leaves and drying them ready for rabbit. As these will be gathered from the wild, I assume I will have to wait until after it has had its vaccinations before feeding?

When should I vaccinate? A specific age? How do you bond with bunny, if one of the first things you do is putting it through the stress of of going to vets for this? Should I risk leaving it a couple of weeks to allow rabbit to settle & be more comfortable with its new home & family first?

Sorry If this post is a bit long, in the wrong place, or any of my questions are covered elsewhere, I just want to make sure I'm getting things right.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Rabbits need a lot of space, even small rabbits, and they shouldn't be restricted to just a cage area at any time, as they are active at all times of the day and night. The rwaf recommend a minimum cage size of 6ftx2ft, with a permanently attached run of 8ft X 6ft. As your rabbit will be an indoor rabbit, like mine, you shouldn't need a cage as such. My rabbit has free range of one floor of the house at all times. Some people who have house rabbits use puppy pens to make a large enclosure for them.

I recommend going to a rescue to get a rabbit, or pair of rabbits, as they will already be vaccinated and spayed or neutered, which will be better for health (eliminates cancer in that area in later life) better for litter training, and hormonal behaviour. They will know the temperament of the rabbits and that temperament should stay the same, whereas with a baby rabbit you don't know what it will end up like temperament wise as it develops and grows.

For litter tray most of us use large low underbed storage boxes with newspaper in, or I use woodpellet cat litter, with hay on top, as they like to munch and go to the toilet at the same time.

Foraging rabbit safe food is great and good for a rabbit, so long as you introduce new foods very gradually.

Hi and Welcome.
I agree with Zoobec re the space... it definitely is something to really consider. Mine have a whole large room to play in, and they use it. They will run around like crazy ect. So you'll definitely need a LOT of space. I found that my little boy, he's a Himalyan breed and quite small, runs around a lot, and he actually needs more space to play than my Dutch girl, who is larger than him. So size really doesn't matter at all, I found anyway, when it comes to bunnies. If you have an active bunny, and most of them are, they will want space.
Also i'd recommend, if you can, to get a pair, like said before. I had only my girl first, seemed fine, but having two of them you can really tell they need that kind of company. Plus I actually found that two isn't actually any more work, or even more expensive than one.
Something else to bear in mind, as you said you like the bunny for when the girls are at school... most bunnies sleep throughout the day. Some are more routined than others, but both mine sleep from usually 11am till about 4pm.

you also asked re breed, and said that Mini Rex's are so soft... something with that to bear in mind too... not all bunnies like their cuddles. My girl really loves her cuddles, and demands them all the time, my boy, who is soooooo soft, doesn't like being cuddled much. so especially with two young kids again a rescue is your best option to get them from, because most will know which bunnies will be ok around kids and which wont be.

Toilet again, agree here with whats said. I use a straw based pellet litter, with hay on top, so it can all go in the garden waste bin. both mine trained themselves, so they are usually good. haven't tried using newspapers at all, as my boy would just end up eating the paper, he has a think for paper and cardboard, seems quite common with buns.

There are some great books on foraging out there, one being sold via the RWAF. I sometimes get mine some, so yeah good to do, and they enjoy it

Something to really bear in mind though... Bunnies are a handful, they are no different from kids really, and you'll be just as worried about them as about your girls. they take a lot of your time and cost a small fortune to keep, I found anyway, the reward though makes it all worth it... but be aware that it's not cheap keeping a bunny and it will take up a lot of your time.

Back