• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE: Sparky's thread

Yes, I know what you mean :)

I sometimes wish I had married a vet. I never did though ...

Yes, always best to consult the vet about combinations of meds. Does he take the marbocyl OK? Some buns really hate the taste. I sometimes disguise it with Ella's Kitchen baby food pouches in carrot/parsnip and apple, or bananas.

We haven't given him the marbocyl as yet as he had one dose yesterday that the vets gave him and he only needs it daily so we will have fun with that later.

Going to be going out in a bit to get a pestle and mortar so we can crush the tablet up. We also need to get something more appropriate to give him a bum bath in. We tried to use an old Tupperware tub last night as it was all I could find but it wasn't quite big enough and he did not enjoy it at all. I don't want to use his litter tray as it hasn't been deep cleaned yet and even once it is I will be paranoid about using it.

At the moment we are keeping him in the plastic carry case with a towel on the bottom and a puppy pad on top which we are are changing every few hours and the sides are padded with rolled up towels for support. He has been moving and fidgeting quite a lot and was being a feisty so and so with his meds this morning.

His eye is looking better to me but that could be the optimism, sleep deprivation and exhaustion talking.

Sorry for yet another posdt and for clogging up the forum.

I was just reading the RWAF leaflet about EC and it said that anigene is a good disinfectant. However I can only seem to find it on amazon but if possible I would like to get hold of it today but can't seem to find anywhere that you can walk in and buy it from, if anyone knows of anywhere it would be greatly appreciated

So Sparky has been back to the vets twice this week.

On Monday the vet was pleased by his progress and yesterday she was really excited by the progress he is making.

His left eye is now reacting but it is a bit slow. The placement of his left foot/ leg is much better and he does have sensation in it. However it is still a bit weak and he can't full weight bear/ hop on it and he has lost 150g in weight. He has been eating and pooping but he isn't eating as many nuggets. Plenty of hay and veggies though. Also the vet said that because we have been keeping him in a relatively small carry case some of the weight loss could be muscle as his movements have been restricted.

We have now put him in an indoor cage which is bigger than the carry case but not as big as his normal cage. Its fully padded with towels, vetbed and puppy pads and he is moving but stumbling and falling over which isn't very nice to watch. His head isn't as tilted as it was but there is still a noticeable tilt

We are keeping up with all the meds and he is back on Thursday when hopefully the blood test will be back and there is even talk of him having physio.....

This is sounding positive. He seems to be responding well to treatment. I hope Sparky continues to improve.

So Sparky has been back to the vets twice this week.

On Monday the vet was pleased by his progress and yesterday she was really excited by the progress he is making.

His left eye is now reacting but it is a bit slow. The placement of his left foot/ leg is much better and he does have sensation in it. However it is still a bit weak and he can't full weight bear/ hop on it and he has lost 150g in weight. He has been eating and pooping but he isn't eating as many nuggets. Plenty of hay and veggies though. Also the vet said that because we have been keeping him in a relatively small carry case some of the weight loss could be muscle as his movements have been restricted.

We have now put him in an indoor cage which is bigger than the carry case but not as big as his normal cage. Its fully padded with towels, vetbed and puppy pads and he is moving but stumbling and falling over which isn't very nice to watch. His head isn't as tilted as it was but there is still a noticeable tilt

We are keeping up with all the meds and he is back on Thursday when hopefully the blood test will be back and there is even talk of him having physio.....

Yours and the vet's diligence with Sparky seems to have paid off. I am so pleased your vet was knowledgable about seizures, a real bonus :)

Vibes for continuing recovery :thumb:

So Sparky touch wood is doing well.

He is down to one dose of metacam a day (1.6ml) and is still on the panacur but not any of the other meds. We are having to put F10 barrier cream on his legs and bum as he has been overgrowing them,

He is happy himself eating plenty, drinking and going to the bathroom.

The strength in his left leg is slowly returning but if he tries to hop or move too quickly he does stumble and there is still a slight tilt to his head. We are still waiting for the second set of blood test results to come back. The lab seem to be taking their time, but given the treatment / recovery the inclination is that it was EC.

The vet has recommended that he starts physiotherapy so just waiting to book him in for that.

Back