• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I use the cone for my neutered bunny

bunnies95

Young Bun
So I'm going to be picking my bunny up at 4 from the vets as he's been neutered, they mentioned about the bunny cone to stop hi from touching his stitches but I'm unsure if I should use it? My other bunnies had no cone and was fine but as we all know every bunny is different so I don't know what to do....what would your advice be?

So I'm going to be picking my bunny up at 4 from the vets as he's been neutered, they mentioned about the bunny cone to stop hi from touching his stitches but I'm unsure if I should use it? My other bunnies had no cone and was fine but as we all know every bunny is different so I don't know what to do....what would your advice be?

If it's the same vet that neutered your other rabbits, I would ask why the cone in this instance?

I have never used it when a male is neutered, but there may be a reason in his case ...

I hope all goes well for picking him up x

When Ben was neutered the vet put a cone on him, but it was more like an apron than a cone. It was a soft floppy thing that tied behind his neck. Within an hour or so of being home he had ripped a hole in it and kept putting his foot through it. So I took it off as it was tripping him up. He didn't seem to worry his stitches, but as MightyMax said, the vet will be able to advise you if there's a reason why he needs it.

Hope he is OK when you get him. xx

My bunnies were never offered cones, but the vet had inside and outside stitches, plus glue. They also never pulled their stitches, but others have not been so lucky.

If the bunny has a cone when you pick him up, leave it on. If a bunny is inclined to pull on stitches they can do it quite quickly so it may be a good precaution.

Generally they don't use cones in rabbits as it stops them eating their poops. However the vet might have a specific reason for him so ask when you pick him up :)

Hoppity, a girl, had one and it caused so much upset. Trying to put a cone on a wee squiggly rabbit is very, very hard. I ended up in tears a couple of nights so left it off her but sadly she licked the area quite raw. Ended up having to applying cream and putting cone on. As Tamsin said I couldn't leave it on constantly as she needed to eat poops.
Good luck whatever happens.

Some people have used a special vest or baby vest adapted to stop a bunny from nibbling at stitches :thumb:

Back