• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

I'm sorry that nobody has responded to share experiences of Zithromax. Perhaps if you do a search through past threads on here it will give you some more information.

Sending loads of vibes for your precious girl. I hope the vet appointment goes well and you can agree a way forward with the vet.

I'm really sorry you've had no response so far. I've just posted a thread in rabbit chat, hopefully someone who doesn't come onto the health section often will see it and be able to come on here and help.

Sending you lots of vibes for your appointment today, I really hope your vet is able to find a way to help Bellatrix xx

I have not used Zithromax on my buns so can't offer any experience. I'm sorry you & bunny are struggling so much. I hate giving injections too, it has me in tears every time.

I hope today finds some sort of solution for you all x

Thank you everyone for your help. The visit was pretty positive. As I thought the abscesses are considerably smaller. We have upped the dose of Metacam and are going to just continue to monitor her and avoid operation as long as possible.

Thank you everyone for your help. The visit was pretty positive. As I thought the abscesses are considerably smaller. We have upped the dose of Metacam and are going to just continue to monitor her and avoid operation as long as possible.

Really pleased to hear this xx

I don't know about using azithromycin in rabbits but it is used quite a lot for rats these days and is used in people for abscesses. Quote from the web:
Dental infections
Azithromycin is given to people allergic to penicillins and those who have abscesses and other dental infections, especially those extending into the sinuses, gums and bone, and for whom other antibiotics have proved ineffective.

I don't know about using azithromycin in rabbits but it is used quite a lot for rats these days and is used in people for abscesses. Quote from the web:
Dental infections
Azithromycin is given to people allergic to penicillins and those who have abscesses and other dental infections, especially those extending into the sinuses, gums and bone, and for whom other antibiotics have proved ineffective.

Thank you, this is helpful x

I am sorry I am just seeing this thread now. I have skimmed it for information and I see you are asking about zithromax for rabbits. My Mimzy came down with head tilt 4 years ago, and one of the antibiotics we used to combat his symptoms (when the vet felt he'd had enough baytril) was zithromax. He did rather well on it and it was at the tail end of his treatment and he recovered well, with some residual tilt, and is still with us today.

I have no experience with abscesses in rabbits but I have seen folks use manuka honey if you are going to go that route and it has been pretty successful in treatment. Also the antibiotic beads seems to work a treat as well. I am sending vibes to you and your lovely bunnies and hope that Bellatrix's issues can be resolved fully and you can get back to the life you had before all this happened with her. ((((((Healing vibes)))))) xxxxxxx

Just looking back on this thread to remind myself of the details of Bellatrix's abscesses incase she gets anymore problems (now that we are living together again!!) and thought I'd just post a little update that she somehow made a miraculous recovery. I really don't know how it happened. She had a total of 5 abscesses all on the side of her neck and jaw and one of them was massive and they slowly disappeared even when I stopped the penicillin! Just also wanted to give some hope to anyone going through similar with their bunny!

As you could probably tell in the above thread I am a massive worrier and check her neck every day. You can feel almost like deflated abscesses where they were so I am constantly worried that I am going to find they have returned one day but all I know is that Bellatrix is a lot braver than me and I should just enjoy every minute I have her.

She is now so happy having free range of my kitchen and back garden where she binkies, flops around and follows me all day. I love her so much :)

Just looking back on this thread to remind myself of the details of Bellatrix's abscesses incase she gets anymore problems (now that we are living together again!!) and thought I'd just post a little update that she somehow made a miraculous recovery. I really don't know how it happened. She had a total of 5 abscesses all on the side of her neck and jaw and one of them was massive and they slowly disappeared even when I stopped the penicillin! Just also wanted to give some hope to anyone going through similar with their bunny!

As you could probably tell in the above thread I am a massive worrier and check her neck every day. You can feel almost like deflated abscesses where they were so I am constantly worried that I am going to find they have returned one day but all I know is that Bellatrix is a lot braver than me and I should just enjoy every minute I have her.

She is now so happy having free range of my kitchen and back garden where she binkies, flops around and follows me all day. I love her so much :)

Thank you for updating, this is wonderful news :D

Bellatrix's abscesses are growing again!! I really didn't need this!

I've been reading this thread back to see what helped last time and it doesn't seem like I really gave the injectable penicillin a chance to work. And I don't believe the baytril was appropriate. The only thing I kept up consistently was the metacam. What do you guys think about me buying some online and giving it to her myself daily to see if it makes any difference to keep vet costs down!?

Bellatrix's abscesses are growing again!! I really didn't need this!

I've been reading this thread back to see what helped last time and it doesn't seem like I really gave the injectable penicillin a chance to work. And I don't believe the baytril was appropriate. The only thing I kept up consistently was the metacam. What do you guys think about me buying some online and giving it to her myself daily to see if it makes any difference to keep vet costs down!?

You'd still need a consultation with a vet to get a prescription so it wouldn't be that much cheaper. If an abscess is growing it will need more than painkillers.

You'd still need a consultation with a vet to get a prescription so it wouldn't be that much cheaper. If an abscess is growing it will need more than painkillers.

It just seemed weird that last time I didn't do the penicillin properly and I didn't keep up with the baytril so I wondered if the anti-inflamatory of the metacam may have made the difference...

Back