• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bonding. Advice

Loulou8425

Warren Scout
So I'm completely new to bonding so I've read as much as I can to make the process as easy as possible. Lily is 1 and George is 5 months. They are both neutered and perfectly healthy. Vet was happy to begin the bonding as George has now healed after his op.

Both buns have been living side by side for a few weeks with no signs of aggression at all. I decided to give them an official bonding session this morning and used the bath for this as lily has pretty much been everywhere in the house and I felt I would cope better if things went wrong if they were in a smaller space. I put out a few towels in the bath and put George in first then lily next. There was a some grunting and thumping from lily and the odd nip. I was fully prepared to separate if needed.

After about 5mins there was no more thumping and George was moving towards lily and lowering his head. She still wanted to nip but not hard. It was more of a headbutt type thing. They both groomed in front of one another and were fine with being close however lily seemed on edge if George wanted to move about but not enough to attack. George wanted to snuggle and burried his head into lily. She was OK with this. I cross stroked them both and they lay down. Here's a few pics and vids. Can you give me opinions and how to proceed?

[video]http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Hazel_Gee/media/20160116_112555_zpsswidvm00.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1[/video]

20160116_112153_zpsrhrwsiao.jpg

20160116_112204_zps2as732lg.jpg

Toward the end lily flopped next to him.

Screenshot_2016-01-16-13-37-30_zpsinorhga1.png

Screenshot_2016-01-16-13-36-14_zps5tv88rar.png

Last edited:
it sounds like you are doing fine. George is showing dominant behaviour asking to be groomed & Lily being nervous is normal too. Are you going to continue bonding with a series of dates? I'd be inclined to do a one off bonding session based on these initial reactions but that depends if you have the time / no commitments of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by a one off? :? I have a week off so I have more time than usual. I planned to do it each day and extend the time if all goes well. First meeting was half an hour.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by a one off? :? I have a week off so I have more time than usual. I planned to do it each day and extend the time if all goes well. First meeting was half an hour.

By one off I meant ongoing...ie put them together & supervise until they are sufficiently bonded to be left, with no breaks. There are several different styles / methods to bonding though. I like to get it all done in one session in a big room with lots for them to do. This doesn't suit all bunnies or all owners though:)

Its sounds to be going well so far...good luck

Im scared to transfer to a bigger space whilst lily is as nervous and scared I won't have control if things get heated. I feel she may get aggressive because George is a very active bun and binkies a lot. Ideally I would like to try your method but I'm lacking confidence just now.

It sounds like it is going well. If there is no fighting between them then I would leave them together so long as you can watch them. Then slowly start going out of the room (put peep through the door :oops:;)). Each day I would then make the space a bit bigger for them. If chasing occurs then make the space smaller again. It is about them building confidence with each other and being comfortable together.

I was dreading bonding Rambo and Cassie (Rambo is twice the size) as my previous bond had taken 4 months. It was the easiest bond ever! They were next to each other for a few days and then I made a small area. Cassie was a little nervous but Rambo was so chilled and aftre about 20 mins jumped into the bed next to her and put his head on her tummy :love: I had been prepared for "dates" each day but as it went so well, I left them and as they are in a large shed that night I got an old quilt and spent the night in there with them to ensure there was no fighting. They have heating in there too and it was February :oops: I started to then back off from them and watch them on the camera and within maybe 3-4 days they were free ranging in the garden and were fine.

Good luck and keep us updated on how they are doing. They are both very cute and do look comfortable around each other from the photos.

confidence is important (& I find bonding nerve racking) so bunnybabes advice seems good for you. Maybe try introducing a little forage / hay...its nice when you see them doing normal stuff together & interacting together. Nothing small that they can run off with or get territorial over though

They are currently in the bath snuggled up after a good munch at hay which they ate together. They are very relaxed so I will leave them in there for a while and keep an eye on them. No grooming so far.

3 hours and things seem good. Grooming themselves, eating together, snuggling together and loads of flops. Lily just throwing herself on George:lol:. Bit of a stale mate now though so I think I'll end it there for tonight.

Well done, if you are using the dating method then to end on positives is the way to do it but it does sound like they are meant to be together. Up early to leave them together longer tomorrow ;)

Grooming may not happen straight away so don't take that as a sign, they will get closer the longer they are together.

Day 2. Got up early and done all my chores so I could spend the day with buns. In the bath again and lily starts her usual thumping and grunting :roll: a lot more assertion of dominance from both but no humping. Mostly demanding to be groomed and lily is doing a lot of digging and smoothing. George just moves his head in slowly and tucks it under her chin or belly and stays there but when lily does it she's bit less gentle. Why is she digging?

Day 2. Got up early and done all my chores so I could spend the day with buns. In the bath again and lily starts her usual thumping and grunting :roll: a lot more assertion of dominance from both but no humping. Mostly demanding to be groomed and lily is doing a lot of digging and smoothing. George just moves his head in slowly and tucks it under her chin or belly and stays there but when lily does it she's bit less gentle. Why is she digging?

I like that expression:) They look so cute when they are smoothing material out with their arms. I guess the down side of dating is when they meet again they can go back a few steps, hopefully not to square one . Its good you have the day free. Is Lily a digger anyway? I don't know why she would dig specifically in this context...maybe she is looking to escape or maybe she doesn't usually have access to whatever on the bath tub floor. Good luck for today

Lily loves a dig. I put an old pillow in her cage so she can dig and smooth all day if she wants. Things have gone well today and both were jumping about and Lily's nerves have settled and she's not nipping. Bothe flopping together too. He has groomed her when I put banana on their heads but she is yet to return the favour. If I move them to a bigger area does that have to be neutral too???

Lily loves a dig. I put an old pillow in her cage so she can dig and smooth all day if she wants. Things have gone well today and both were jumping about and Lily's nerves have settled and she's not nipping. Bothe flopping together too. He has groomed her when I put banana on their heads but she is yet to return the favour. If I move them to a bigger area does that have to be neutral too???

Yep:) keep their area as neutral as possible til you feel they are securely bonded. Don't worry too much about mutual grooming...some bunnies are a little slow to return the favour. So pleased to hear its going well

Guess I better go steam the carpet etc. What about a litter tray?

[video]http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Hazel_Gee/media/20160117_115218_zpsrfvjjrrh.mp4.html?sort=3&o=2[/video]

[video]http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Hazel_Gee/media/20160117_123732_zps0pamrdmc.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

:love: Looks like things are going well. Is it possible for you to leave them together now without separating (all being well of course). I agree about the mutual grooming, that will come with time. I was surprised when I bonded Rambo and Cassie (half his size), she is the one that demands more grooming and he is always willing to groom as when she was on her own she always wanted to groom us. She does groom him back though but is a demanding little lady :lol:

:love: Looks like things are going well. Is it possible for you to leave them together now without separating (all being well of course). I agree about the mutual grooming, that will come with time. I was surprised when I bonded Rambo and Cassie (half his size), she is the one that demands more grooming and he is always willing to groom as when she was on her own she always wanted to groom us. She does groom him back though but is a demanding little lady :lol:

I felt comfortable enough to leave them today and just kept checking on them. They've been fine so far but it may be that they really don't have that much room at the moment. I'm not sure how it would work in a bigger space.

Last edited:
Back