• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long after female neuter until behaviour changes?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Ok i should know this but its been ages since we rescued a really feisty hormonal girlie. We seem to mainly have male buns nowadays ...... So much easier to bond in groups i find. But we took two girls last week and after a few days of being cute their hormones have suddenly realised that they are now out of their small hutches and able to move and eat hay and generally grow up.. They are about 18 months anyway but it buns do sometimes suddenly become adult when given some space. At least i have found that with boys.

One of the new girls is fine and just a bit hummmmmy all of a sudden. But the other is going insane tearing things up, and wanting to pick teritorial fights with all and sundry male and female if they pass anywhere near her xxxlarge dog crate.

She will be neutered in 10 days time as she had her vaccines last week. But how long after that until she might calm down just a bit??

I realise she might always be a bit feisty but this is insane

We dont have any unneutered males around so she is not picking up on that. And i am keeping the other uneutered girl in a separate room

Ok i should know this but its been ages since we rescued a really feisty hormonal girlie. We seem to mainly have male buns nowadays ...... So much easier to bond in groups i find. But we took two girls last week and after a few days of being cute their hormones have suddenly realised that they are now out of their small hutches and able to move and eat hay and generally grow up.. They are about 18 months anyway but it buns do sometimes suddenly become adult when given some space. At least i have found that with boys.

One of the new girls is fine and just a bit hummmmmy all of a sudden. But the other is going insane tearing things up, and wanting to pick teritorial fights with all and sundry male and female if they pass anywhere near her xxxlarge dog crate.

She will be neutered in 10 days time as she had her vaccines last week. But how long after that until she might calm down just a bit??

I realise she might always be a bit feisty but this is insane

We dont have any unneutered males around so she is not picking up on that. And i am keeping the other uneutered girl in a separate room

Oh sorry you're having this issue Parsnipbun ... Well done for rescuing the girls though :)

I know what you mean about them suddenly realising they have space and their characters come to the fore. We have this a lot with rescue bunnies, and with the Mayhew Animal Home it was really interesting to watch the change.

The received wisdom is that in males and females, the hormones take from 2 weeks to 2 months to settle down. In reality we always found it could take 3 months with the males, and 3/4 months with the females. However, as you're having her spayed pretty quickly after being with you, I would hope her behaviour would calm a bit quicker. It hasn't time to 'get entrenched' as it were - a moot point but one which I've observed along the way.

Yes I guess she will always be feisty, but I would reckon on 6 weeks to 2 months personally, given the circumstances.

Oh dear - I was hoping that it would be quicker than it is with the boys. I know the boys retain some hormonal behaviour for ages . . . (plus of course the fertility!). . but had a vague remembrance that for the girls it was much quicker hormonal drop. A bit like humans.

Looks like we will have to make some sort of a 'sneak tunnel' for Parsley Piert Parcels so he can get through the kitchen space without being snarled at from an enraged face within the dog crate!! he has to get from the rest of the house through the kitchen to the conservatory to visit his chums 'the conservatory buns' - Cant swap them over as the conservatory buns need to access the door to the outside world direct for various reasons (disabilities mainly)

Oh dear - I was hoping that it would be quicker than it is with the boys. I know the boys retain some hormonal behaviour for ages . . . (plus of course the fertility!). . but had a vague remembrance that for the girls it was much quicker hormonal drop. A bit like humans.

Looks like we will have to make some sort of a 'sneak tunnel' for Parsley Piert Parcels so he can get through the kitchen space without being snarled at from an enraged face within the dog crate!! he has to get from the rest of the house through the kitchen to the conservatory to visit his chums 'the conservatory buns' - Cant swap them over as the conservatory buns need to access the door to the outside world direct for various reasons (disabilities mainly)

I think with females, the added in factor is the 'learned behaviour' which they seem more reluctant to forget. So it kind of blurries the edges of when their true hormonal phases has passed.

The vision of a tunnel for Parsley .. :D But could you not put a towel over the relevant part of the dog crate when he comes through - a bit like on top of a budgie's cage? A kind of 'simmer down' cloth?

Back