• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded trio had a fight...

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
So, over the last week I have been bonding my pair to a new rescue bun. Mine are Mel (dominant) and Pip, rescue bun is Bunson. All male. (All unintentional too!)

Pip immediately groomed Bunson. Over the nest few days, Mel and Pip continued grooming each other, with Pip also grooming Bunson. Mel and Bunson mounted Pip a bit at first, trying to work out who was dominant between them. They also did the small circle chasing thing, so I had my doubts, but most of the time they just sniffed each other. I felt ok to leave them for short periods once the circling/fur pulling stopped entirely a few days ago. It was during this time I noticed Bunson had a scab on his back, presumably from Mel biting. I feel awful about this and don't know how I didn't spot it before, but by then they were getting on better so didn't separate them. And Bunson looked so much happier with bunny company.

I suspected Bunson was mainly fighting out of fear becuse he is a very nervous bun, and this seemed to play out because two days ago he started grooming Mel, and Pip. They were chilling all together, cuddled up together, for about 24hrs.

Then last night I heard a bang, rushed in and Mel and Bunson were fighting/circling (was dark so couldn't really tell), I made a loud noise as I switched on the light and they parted. Checked all three over - Bunson's scab was slightly peeled up at the edge but no new blood/wound. Have left them together and they have been ignoring each other (I think - certainly no fighting) and I've been nearby at all times again. As far as I can tell Pip is still being friends with both.

I feel I may have to try to rehome Bunson. They were going to move to their new cage/run today until last night's fight happened. It seems so sad to have to rehome Bunson when Pip loves him though...

Any tips/ideas?

Last edited:
Personally I would separate Bunson from the other 2, maybe with lots of space they might get along, but I think you are asking a lot to get 3 boys to live happily together.

I agree with Tonibun - separate Bunson from them as a matter of urgency.

How long have they been neutered? Were you bonding in neutral territory?

Yes I was bonding in neutral territory.
I am intrigued about the suggestion of lots of space - I thought bonding was supposed to happen in a small space? I increased their space a few days ago just befor they all started grooming each other... do you think that helped then?
Their cage/run is bigger again (at least 2x size of current space) but I wasn't going to move them in until they seemed properly bonded.
Poor Bunson :(

Mel & Pip about/over two years. The were bonded around then too.

Bunson over 3 weeks. Started bonding process a week ago. Would longer have been better? I read advice on here saying two weeks seemed as good as longer...

I will start looking for a new home for him, poor little thing. We found him in the park and thought it was worth a try. He will need someone who loves him a lot and can provide/bond a friend cos he seems happier with the bunnies than on his own, despite this. He is obviously quite scared of people, think he was badly treated before. Ahhh it's making me cry writing this.

Out of interest, why do you think they showed bonded behaviour then this happened? Is it just that they were not fully bonded, or can omething spook them and "unbond" them?

Bunson's hormones won't have settled after his neutering so perhaps you may have been better to wait another 3 weeks or so before attempting to bond. Bonding 3 boys is never going to be easy and will take a lot of patience and moving at a very slow pace if you are to stand any chance.

You could try separating for, perhaps, a month and try again.

I can understand your sadness at the thought of his previous life and now the prospect of re-homing him, but think how lucky he is that he came to you. Any chance of you finding him a spayed female to bond with? That's a big ask but I think it may be the only way forward if you want to keep him.

Bunson's hormones won't have settled after his neutering so perhaps you may have been better to wait another 3 weeks or so before attempting to bond. Bonding 3 boys is never going to be easy and will take a lot of patience and moving at a very slow pace if you are to stand any chance.

You could try separating for, perhaps, a month and try again.

I can understand your sadness at the thought of his previous life and now the prospect of re-homing him, but think how lucky he is that he came to you. Any chance of you finding him a spayed female to bond with? That's a big ask but I think it may be the only way forward if you want to keep him.

Unfortunately I can't keep two pairs longterm, so would have to re-home him.

I've just remembered I changed something - I had given them two litter trays in the bonding area and when I cleaned them out yesterday decided one was enough (had only given two to start in case of disputes!). Do you think that affected them?

I've just remembered I changed something - I had given them two litter trays in the bonding area and when I cleaned them out yesterday decided one was enough (had only given two to start in case of disputes!). Do you think that affected them?

As I said, I feel you started bonding too soon after his neutering, but perhaps someone can give further advice.

I always think that once 2 boys have fought, they will fight again. I read this info on Cottontails website, but I am sure there is a lot of truth in it as Mairwen is very experienced. So when and if they all go to live in the cage and run, is this a new area to them all or somewhere the other 2 bunnies lived in previously?

This definitely could have affected them. They may have become territorial over the remaining tray, and started fighting. This happened when I first attempted a trio bond.

I had a trio of three boys living together happily, and I have two boys living together happily now (touch wood :lol:) It's possible to have any combination of rabbits living together, as long as their personalities are compatible. I would stop the bonding for now but have them living alongside each other, and then in 3/4 weeks time I would attempt the bonding again. Obviously in a small-ish, neutral area (but definitely keep two litter trays!) I wouldn't give up after one small scuffle xx

I always think that once 2 boys have fought, they will fight again. I read this info on Cottontails website, but I am sure there is a lot of truth in it as Mairwen is very experienced. So when and if they all go to live in the cage and run, is this a new area to them all or somewhere the other 2 bunnies lived in previously?

My two boys fell out spectacularly a few months ago when I changed their living space... they're loved up like nobody's business now :) I agree that Mairwen is very experienced, however she also lets bunnies fight it out (I've watched her bonding videos) and personally I probably wouldn't let her bond my rabbits :lol:

Unfortuntely I cannot continue with this. Does anyone have any advice on finding Bunson a new home? I can't wait to bond them again as I just have too much to do, too much expectations of me to be places and not enough people I can really trust with my buns let alone insecurely bonded ones. I am having some kind of breakdown and need to re-home Bunson asap before I can't look after my other two either. Please help if possible. Can't stop crying.

Sorry, what I mean is it is impossible for me to give them all enough space whilst still able to see/smell each other.
The spare room that I bonded them in is about to be decorated professionally, which HAS to be done due to person needing the room at Christmas and beyond. I am knackered from supervising bonding, unwell in general and this is one step too far. I cant do it. I want to find little Bunson a forever home with a new bunny friend.

Sorry you are feeling poorly I think under the circumstances it is the best thing to do. Are you going to advertise him on Rabbit Rehome - I think that's what people do.

Sorry you are feeling tearful. I totally sympathise. I advertised my lovely Peaches on here (via a mod) and was lucky enough to find a rescue locally to keep her as a member of their sanctuary group.

I really hope that you find a lovely home for Benson. Very best of luck.

Rabbit rehome wants info I dont have, its too complicated. Local rescue wont answer phone even in opening hours. Im v unwell cant leave my flat, cant stop crying, i need help urgently what the hell do i do, please someone take bunson and love him

Rabbit rehome wants info I dont have, its too complicated. Local rescue wont answer phone even in opening hours. Im v unwell cant leave my flat, cant stop crying, i need help urgently what the hell do i do, please someone take bunson and love him

Right. Have you sent a PM to Soad asking for help re posting in Rabbits in Need? Yes, there are a few questions to answer, but most of them you have the information for (neuter status, vaccination status, physical appearance, reason for re-homing). Obviously you don't know his age (perhaps the vet gave you some idea?) or his health background. You were good and kind enough to rescue him from wandering in the park, so no-one can expect you to have some of this info. Try Soad, and just explain the circumstances. Please let us know how you get on.

Back