• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Four Rabbits

Laverick

New Kit
Hi all
I currently have a trio; a male and two females. There is one dominant female who bosses around the other female rabbit but nothing too serious, just dominant behavior. The male is very laid back and gets on with them both and due to his size no one bosses him around!

We have the opportunity to rescue a female rabbit we have been told about from a breeder who needs to downsize due to time and financial restraints. I have fallen in love with this rabbit however Lucy (my girlfriend) is airing on the side of caution as she doesn’t want the ruin the group dynamics and we cannot rescue this rabbit unless it joins the group.

At the same time as all of this we are a little worried that the dominant female is being a bit too bossy to the subordinate female and I think that adding another rabbit will help ‘spread’ the dominant females behavior so she is not only having ago at the one less dominant female.

I know that dominant behavior is part and parcel of rabbit hierarchy and I am confident that the females behavior is only to keep the subordinate in line within the group, which is why I think adding another will help the dynamic. I am also confident that the male will welcome another girlfriend so there’s no worries there!

What are people will 3+ rabbits opinions? The rabbit we are considering rescuing is very friendly according to the breeder and also lived happily with her sister up until 2 months ago when she was separated after having kits, so is used to being with other rabbits.

All rabbits including the proposed rescue are between 8 and 18 months old the current trio are all neutered and we will get the rescue neutered before we start bonding.

Thanks

Tom

Just a quick reply....I have a trio that did not work out due to sisters fighting. So I would be concerned that the new female and current females will of course have to fight it out for hierarchy positions. That said your current dominant female will want to keep her position but the lower ranked females you already have will fight for her second position for sure. She wont want to be bottom of the pile. So that leaves the newcomer to somehow fit into the group...she might be happy to be at the bottom of she might fall madly in love with your buck and fight tooth & nail to be top bunny.

I think alot depends on personality. I think often there is one bunny left out of a trio...three's a crowd kind of thing...unless they are all very chilled but often the does have abit of jealousy.
I would decide if worst came to worst what you would do if your current trio split up?
Would it be poss to then keep two separate pairs?

Consider worst case scenario and decide if you can help rehome this poor bred from bunny...aweful breeders! and let her join in the group and have a wonderfu life just being a bunny. She might be fine but ut depends on personalities and you willknow yours best.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply

That's the thing, we don't want to ruin what we have got but I honestly think adding another will create more of an equilibrium withing the group.

Anyone else got any experience?

Would it be better to add a male? I really want to rescue this female though and that can only be done if she can integrate into the group.

By the way the trio lives in a large converted shed with free run of the predator and escape proof garden while were in, so we have the room for another, but like i said as long as she can integrate.

Tom.

Thank you for your reply

That's the thing, we don't want to ruin what we have got but I honestly think adding another will create more of an equilibrium withing the group.

Anyone else got any experience?

Would it be better to add a male? I really want to rescue this female though and that can only be done if she can integrate into the group.

By the way the trio lives in a large converted shed with free run of the predator and escape proof garden while were in, so we have the room for another, but like i said as long as she can integrate.
g.png

Tom.
Good luck Tom

Back