• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared rabbit...???

bethanj0nes

New Kit
Ive had my rescue rabbit fkr about 5 months now and he is still scared of everything. He doesnt like much petting maybe 2/3 seconds and he always runs away or tries to avoid human contact and he rarely comes close unless its for his dinner even then he grabs food and runs away. He has bonded really well to our other rabbit and they are always together and is always with him for comfort which is sweet. I dont know how to build his trust up in humans because my only guess is when he was a baby a human treated him badly but he was only a few months old when we rescued him so he should be quite familar and feel safe with us now as hes grown up with us. Any ideas?

If something has happened to him early on it can remain with them for a long time. Fortunately he now has a bunny friend so that should help to boost his confidence and he might start to come out of his shell a bit gradually. :thumb:

Time and patience and be around him as much as poss. Sitting near by and reading (or whatever) so that he gets used to you being there and doesnt necessarily associate you with being handled.

Its so cute when they cuddle together isnt it? I have four who share a shed and I often see them all huddled together on top of their little hutch (which is always open).

We recently adopted a scared bunny, and he is exactly the same. What tulsi said is right, time and patience, and lots of time on the floor. I've tried lying on the floor, later moving to sitting, and am now at a point of trying to feed him with one hand and stroke him with the other (i find brocolli and cauliflower are good for this, as it takes some to nibble). Our bun is still scared, but we notice progress!

I'm hoping neutering might calm him down further, but we're trying to strike a balance in case it just puts us back to square one!

Our 2 rescue buns both run away from us :( they were rescued as babies (part of a larger rescue with multiple unplanned / unwanted litters) so maybe they weren't used to much human contact when they were very young. They will now come over and take food from us and 1 of them allows head strokes for a short time so we are making progress. Lots of times though if we even move in their direction they run for cover! One of them (Casper) is an angora cross so requires regular grooming, this is the one that doesn't run away as much but it can still be hard to get him to stay still for brushing. The other one (Coco) is definitely not as keen on humans and runs away 99% of the time (unless we have food of course!) so it was a 2 man job trying to get him into the carrier for a recent vet visit.

I'm sure their personalities come into it too - we have always found Casper to be the more inquisitive of the 2, eg he'll hop into the hall and kitchen if the living room door is open but Coco has never ventured past the living room. Coco is definitely more timid and he's not as keen on human contact, I'm hoping that over time he will get used to us and maybe even enjoy being stroked. We've only had them for about 2 1/2 months so it may take a while longer before we see progress.

Yeah, patience is the way forward. If he'll take food from your hand that's a really good first step even if he does run away with it. Cutting things up into tiny pieces so you can feed them individually will help.

Every single time he gets even a tiny piece of food from you, that's a positive association he's making, as long as the food is tasty enough to be "worth it".

I think that's the balance you have to find. Whatever you want to do with him (stroke him, pick him up, etc.) has to be rewarded enough that it's "worth it" to him. Right now he's probably scared enough of being touched that there isn't a reward in the world that is good enough, so you'll have to work on something easier and move on as he gets more comfortable.

What I'd aim to do is to find a level he's only slightly uncomfortable with and work with him until he's happy with that level of interaction, before moving on a little, getting him used to more and more very slowly until he eventually tolerates whatever handling you need to do with him.

Perhaps a progression a bit like this (although it would need modifying according to how he's responding - everything's on his time and not yours):
* Food in tiny pieces in your open hand. Let him approach, don't worry if he grabs a bit and runs. Speak to him softly but don't move or try to touch him. When he's relaxed enough to eat next to you, move on.
* Give him a single piece of food when he approaches, by moving your hand towards him with the food in it. Little movements at first. Remember you want him to be just a bit uncomfortable, so if he's spooked you're going too fast. When he's confident with you giving him food, move on.
* Ask him to sniff your (empty) hand before you give the treat with the other. He should be used to you moving your hand towards his face by now, so if you move your hand towards him he'll naturally sniff it. Give him food right away when he sniffs or touches you with his nose. Soon he'll nudge you for treats (but probably only when he knows you have food)!
* Next is a big step - you touching him, rather than the other way around. Give him a treat as usual and gently touch his head or nose (literally the briefest and lightest of touches) while he's eating it. Bigger pieces of food that take longer to eat can be helpful for this as long as he stays near you to eat them. It's really important not to go too fast here, you don't want him to be scared enough to move away. Make sure he can see your hand so he isn't surprised when you touch him (rabbits have a "blind spot" directly in front of their face) and move slowly, and stop moving if he flinches back, let him approach you again.
* When he's happy to be touched you can start to gradually build up to little nose strokes, or touching on different parts of the body. Again, if he's too uncomfortable, you're going too fast and should back up to something he finds easier. From here you can slowly move to putting your hands under his belly, then exerting upward pressure but not actually lifting him, then lifting very slightly off the floor and putting him down again, up to picking him up properly. Getting another pair of hands is really helpful for training this because then one of you can do the handling while the other stuffs food in bunny's face. ;)

Although my two boys are pretty confident little Nethies who were handled every day by their breeders, neither liked being handed and only tolerated head strokes. Now I can touch all over their bodies and pick them up without any fuss, they love strokes and now allow me (short) snuggle sessions and cuddles. :)

Perfect thankyou for all the advice... ive tried lots of different methods already so i guess ill just have to persevere with him. Hea a very confident bun and loves to run around and bink and show off but hates being stroked or tickled and runs away. So thankyou ill try your different methods

We got 2 bunnies around 2 months ago. One was very friendly and the other very shy and hid from us and ran away. Neither were very keen on being picked up. Oddly the friendlier one seems to have become more scared ( possibly because we picked him up more since he was friendlier , maybe we rushed him?). The other is much friendlier. I've really only picked him up when necessary to move him. Otherwise we just stroked him while giving food. For a while he would avoid the food until we left and he'd run away if we went anywhere near. Now both bunnies know when it's food time and they both come over to us. Theodore will let me stroke him while he eats. Sometimes he'll stop eating while I stroke him. Sometimes he gets spooked and goes away ( I put food elsewhere that her can have of this happens). He's also stamped his foot at me before because I've annoyed him I guess! Generally though he's loads better.

So I'd reiterate what others have said 'give food so he associates you with good things (I've heard rabbits like a routine so maybe go see him at set times with food). And don't push too much, go at his pace as you could set the whole process back as we have with our other bun.

No id a if well ever get cuddly bunnies but at least we can stroke them now.

Back