• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do outdoor Bunnies actually SLEEP?!?

spinecho

Warren Scout
Our two outdoor Bunnies, female 6 months and male 13 weeks never seem to sleep!!

It doesn't matter what time I go out to them, from 6am to past midnight, they're always sitting up to say hello!!!

I've seen lovely photos on this forum of house bunnies asleep and stretched out....ours are always on the go!!

So...do outdoor bunnies EVER sleep???[emoji6]

Sent from my E380 using Tapatalk

I hope so :lol: They are light sleepers so probably wake when your approaching . I've certainly noticed my deaf bunny seems to sleep for longer periods - maybe as less readily disturbed? I read ages ago that rabbits only sleep for up to 6 minutes at a time but i've absolutely no idea if there is any truth in it.

I hope so [emoji38] They are light sleepers so probably wake when your approaching . I've certainly noticed my deaf bunny seems to sleep for longer periods - maybe as less readily disturbed? I read ages ago that rabbits only sleep for up to 6 minutes at a time but i've absolutely no idea if there is any truth in it.
Thanks...that would explain a lot!!!
I've also read that wild rabbits sleep with eyes open...or at least a deep rest.

Thanks...that would explain a lot!!!
I've also read that wild rabbits sleep with eyes open...or at least a deep rest.

Most rabbits will sleep with their eyes open unless they are very relaxed, often you can only tell they are asleep (& not just ignoring you:lol:) as their noses stop twitching

Yes, I think they must wake up when you approach them. I love the picture you paint of them sitting up to say hello :D

My house bunnies seem to zonk out for long periods of time, eyes closed and bodies completely relaxed. I have a deaf bunny like Joey&Boo, and he just carries on sleeping whilst the world crashes around him. When I am in the same room as him I have to put my hand on his back (whether he's sleeping or awake) as if he suddenly spots me he'll fly! He'll then take quite a few seconds to wake up properly, so I guess he was deeply asleep.

Housebunnies are essentially no different to outdoor bunnies, so I suppose they must sleep sometime, though probably much more lightly because of their enhanced hearing!

Yep, they do. I've felt like my heart stops for a moment when I walk outside and see Elphie in complete DBF mode. The most recent time I caught her, she didn't even have the decency to come out of it; I just checked she was breathing before letting out a sigh of relief.

However, usually, if I do go outside, they are awake and active - or at least, they wake up when they hear me approach!

Lopsy must have been well asleep when we got back at 10:30pm last night because he leapt into a panic (I only heard this), Aboleth shot out and through the two tunnels to the hutch and then Lopsy thumped once. All before I'd said "hello bunnies!"... Aboleth was fine, all seeking for me, but Lopsy was hiding. Even after pellet shaking. Must have got a shock :D

He also sleeps with his eyes shut, outside, when we have lots of people outside: not had that with Aboleth yet. They like to sleep on the windowsill now, with their eyes open, and if you're REALLY quiet, you can sneak up and take pictures of them: sadly the door and gate all squeak so at least Aboleth is usually ears-radaring around for you before you even get within 2m XD

I sometimes wonder the same thing about my outdoor bucks. :lol: The girls in particular I always find flopping around of a morning, too lazy to hop up and say hello. The boys seem to be far lighter sleepers. :lol:

Edward was running about at 2am, so I'm guessing my two are cut from the same cloth as yours! Slightly irritating as I added a hidey box to their playhouse this week as I was worried about the cold!

Edward was running about at 2am, so I'm guessing my two are cut from the same cloth as yours! Slightly irritating as I added a hidey box to their playhouse this week as I was worried about the cold!
Lol! Same here....sometimes I think my wife and I worry more about the bunnies than our kids!!!! [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Back