• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bicho's friend coming!

Well, I haven't being posting since ages ago!
Now Bicho is 1 year and 3 months old. He is a very very happy indoor rabbit, extremely tame, he licks everyone who comes into the house! But he hasn't had any rabbit friends, only occasionally when me and my partner have been out and he has been under the care of a neighbour. She is a vet and looks after many people's rabbits. She's told me Bicho was nose rubbing with a male French lop.
Now, in few days we have decided to bring a new rabbit. He is a 2 months netherland dwarf rabbit (which would make that both of my rabbits would be male). I'm "adopting" him from my same neighbour who was brought up 5 of them by someone who couldn't cope with his/her responsibility. All of them are males so there's no choice on gender.
Bicho was neutered when he was 3 months. And so the newbie will be when he comes into age.
They are NOT going to be in the same room (as Bicho uses a whole room for himself) for a while. When we are at home they can be together under our "control".
Do you have any suggestions to make? Will there be any problems as the new rabbit is not "done" yet?
Thank you so much and waiting for your answers!

Last edited:
The only problem possibly will be one of territory and attention. Your existing bunny might get a bit jealous so you will have to watch them very carefully when they are together, a baby Netherland is very small and you don't want to frighten him.

Indeed, I do not want to frighten that tiny thing.
What about being neutered? Bicho was done a year ago, but the new one being so young... Could his hormones give any trouble to Bicho? Or the other way round?

Hormones shouldn't be a problem at 8 weeks old, tbh I have never put an adult male rabbit with a baby. Rabbits are strange creatures, Have you an alternative plan if the 2 won't get on?

Well, first of all I'll do it veeery gradually just to avoid any incidents. In the worse scenario I would just keep them apart, space is not the problem. The problem is their own "companionship"

Back