• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies routine like clockwork.

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Do your bunnies have a routine that works like clockwork? Mine pretty much stick to doing the same things at the same time everyday. Like in the morning I know exactly when it is ceacatroph time or when Lola starts to race around a bit before sleep time she is passing a misformed ceacal.

If they do anything that is out of their normal routine I immediately panic, even so much as sitting in an unusual place. While them behaving so predictably is good to spot anything out of the ordinary, it really gives me so much anxiety. I only really ever experience anxiety over the bunnies health and it really stresses me out! In reality they may just be doing something different for a change, but my brain thinks the worst and I can't seem to snap out of it.

Just now I have gone to Frankie (she has been on and off poorly and on antibiotics for suspected Respiratory infection, but doing well and symptoms gone, she is 5 and unspayed with underlying tooth root problems as well) and she is fairly quiet this evening compared to her normal racing around at this time self. My brain is automatically thinking the worst, when she might just be having a quiet night after a noisy day with the rain on her conservatory roof all day maybe. It's like I can't quite enjoy them as much as I should as anything remotely out of routine sets me into a big panic. :oops:

Of course tomorrow I have to take my daughter for a sit and wait dentist appointment so leaving at 7.35am - the last one of those she ended up in hospital, my OH is away really early with work further up North and I can't drive so we will be travelling about by bus, which out here takes ages to get anywhere! So the fact I can't easily get to a vets is playing on my mind and adding to the worry I think.

I don't even really know what I am asking with this post really, I guess are you guys the same and have bunnies that are so rigid with their routine that anything remotely different makes you panic??

It might help to look up the details of a pet taxi - they'll do a vet trip for you. Might make you less worried if you know you've got a plan :)

I know what you mean though. The first sign of Scamp being unwell is him lying down in an unusual place, so I worry as soon as he does - aka poke him and give him a treat.

I mess about with my two's routine a lot
It was a conscious decision so that they wouldn't freak out if i had a lie in or something, but I've always tried to mess with them - moving stuff around in their space, spending time with them at different times of day, feeding pellets morning sometimes and evening other times, letting them explore different areas
I think it makes them more confident - and it's something I spoke to tamsin about on the all ears podcast. Bunnies need routine to give them confidence but once they're settled, changing the routine can give them more confidence and help them get less stressed if something small changes

But then if you know what to expect, that's useful too, so that's an argument to not change routine. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer - but whatever you think is right for you and your bunnies at any given time

Thank you both. That is a good point about making them more confident.

As for Frankie last night, I offered some kale and she practically mugged me for it so I relaxed!

Back