• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding With Bunny

Shardy95

Young Bun
When I bring my bunny home, how long should I leave her to settle in before I can play/cuddle with her :love: what's the best way to bond with her, tips??

I'm taking her for a health check too, I was going to take her after I'd picked her up. Or should I wait until she's settled in a bit first. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
How exciting! :D When you bring her home, leave her in her pen for the entire day and leave her be. She's in a new environment and will need some time to get used to it. Every bunny is different, and some may settle in quicker. Her curiosity will eventually get the better of her, and when she seems comfortable in her new home start by sitting with her. She might be a little wary of you to start with, but she will come over to suss you out. Don't pat her, just let her sniff you/touch you on her own accord. If you keep at this, eventually she'll become far more comfortable and you should be able to pat her. If she doesn't seem willing to get a pat, try approaching her with your hand from the side, rather than above or in front of her face. I've found that with my boys they were happier for me to start patting them this way. You could also try hand feeding her and giving her a gentle pat while she nibbles away. Honestly, I've found the best way to bond with my bunnies is to simply hang out with them and let them decide when to approach you. Most buns aren't big fans of cuddles, but who knows, you might have a bunny like my Cleo who willingly jumps into your lap for cuddles!

As for her health check, it's really up to you. Where are you getting her from? If she's from a rescue for example, there should be a vet who routinely checks the buns in which case you could wait till she's settled in a bit. Good luck with your new bunny! :)

Hi :wave:

Thank you for your tips, I'll be certain to give them a shot. I've never known a rabbit that doesn't like cuddles, even Flopsy our rescue who was neglected loved cuddles. After a lot of rehabilitation mind. And Willow the Rabbit I've got now, absolutely LOVES kisses and cuddles and will sit cuddled up in your arms all day if you'd let her.
So I'm hoping new Bunny will love cuddles to :) I will be spending a lot of time with her so I'm sure she will :)

I'm getting her from a breeder in my area. I nipped into my vets and asked about a health check, they said its free. So why not! :)

Last edited:
Back