• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom has an abscess. Query # 79 20.09.16

Blossom has had 2 courses of Zithromax in the last year - last August and then again October. He has never shown any side effects from using it.

I have been prescribed it today and gave him his first dose about half 7 . He is clearly now in some discomfort and lying down, pressing his tummy. I am presuming it is the Zithromax and he is reacting to it. Is this usual to tolerate it previously and now not? Don't want to give it tomorrow morning if he is in discomfort but don't want to give up on a drug that was so very beneficial last time.

Any advice / thoughts?

Cheers

I am surprised that if he tolerated it last time he now doesn't. This can happen (it's happened to me - I suddenly became dreadfully allergic to an antibiotic I'd happily taken years previously) but it's not usual.

I should wait and see how he is in the morning and reassess. The picture may have become clearer by then - I hope so :D

You are such a star for always being here :)

He is fine now - running around and eating cabbage and his supper of oats and coriander.

I always get sick if I have tablets on an empty stomach so tomorrow I am going to feed him first then give his metacam and then half an hour later give it him and see if that helps.

I will be gutted if we have to stop as I have so much faith in his product, I feel its his lifeline.

He is still not eating as normal but compared to last week he is eating more an much quicker with an easier action...

Thanks again xxxx

You are such a star for always being here :)

He is fine now - running around and eating cabbage and his supper of oats and coriander.

I always get sick if I have tablets on an empty stomach so tomorrow I am going to feed him first then give his metacam and then half an hour later give it him and see if that helps.

I will be gutted if we have to stop as I have so much faith in his product, I feel its his lifeline.

He is still not eating as normal but compared to last week he is eating more an much quicker with an easier action...

Thanks again xxxx

Thank you :oops:

I think that's a brill idea to give him meds after food. I hadn't thought of that!

Quicker eating - a very good sign. I hope he's even better tomorrow :D

Blossom has had 2 courses of Zithromax in the last year - last August and then again October. He has never shown any side effects from using it.

I have been prescribed it today and gave him his first dose about half 7 . He is clearly now in some discomfort and lying down, pressing his tummy. I am presuming it is the Zithromax and he is reacting to it. Is this usual to tolerate it previously and now not? Don't want to give it tomorrow morning if he is in discomfort but don't want to give up on a drug that was so very beneficial last time.

Any advice / thoughts?

Cheers

Zithromax can cause gastric irritation and if Blossom had not been eating too well prior to being given the first dose the likelihood of tummy upset can be greater. So it is a good idea to make sure he has food in his tummy before both the Zithromax and the Metacam (metacam can also cause gastric irritation as it is a NSAID). Is Blossom on Metacam once or twice a day ? If once a day then I'd try to give the dose at a different time to the Zithromax dose. Again, both drugs being given after food. If he has Metacam twice a day I'd still try to keep the doses as far apart from the Zithromax as is possible for you to manage.

I would mention the pain episode Blossom had to the prescribing Vet. He/she may want to consider changing Blossom's analgesia xx

Thank you Jane for always offering advice.

Bloss is on metacam twice a day and always tolerates it well.

The first time he was on zithromax he hadn't eaten for a few days properly and had no side effects at all.

Yesterday, probably after about an hour he was fine again. Obviously though I don't want him in any discomfort.

Tonight when I am back from work, I am going to feed him first and then try to give him his meds as you suggested. Then watch him like a hawk!!

He is back at the vets on Fri first thing and we will mention the episode and any further episodes too. If he suffers again tonight then I will stop zithromax and just do metacam as usual.

He was happy and lively with an empty plate this morning so at least he had eaten all of his supper!

Thanks again . Have a good day x

Thank you Jane for always offering advice.

Bloss is on metacam twice a day and always tolerates it well.

The first time he was on zithromax he hadn't eaten for a few days properly and had no side effects at all.

Yesterday, probably after about an hour he was fine again. Obviously though I don't want him in any discomfort.

Tonight when I am back from work, I am going to feed him first and then try to give him his meds as you suggested. Then watch him like a hawk!!

He is back at the vets on Fri first thing and we will mention the episode and any further episodes too. If he suffers again tonight then I will stop zithromax and just do metacam as usual.

He was happy and lively with an empty plate this morning so at least he had eaten all of his supper!

Thanks again . Have a good day x

Hopefully the pain episode was a one off. He may be fine on Zithromax as long as he has it after some food xx

How did it work this morning Jane, with him having food in his stomach before the Zithromax?

Good to hear he cleared his supper plate last night :D

How did it work this morning Jane, with him having food in his stomach before the Zithromax?

Good to hear he cleared his supper plate last night :D

I didnt give him any this mornig. Due to my work hours and me wanting to spread the food / meds out and then watch him and be there if he needed me, I ddint think it would be wise.

I have done it tonight though.

He had his metacam and oats at half 6 with cabbage, a little SS and some apple.
At 7.45 I gave him his Zithromax.
All seemed well, he was lively enough and carried on nibbling his greens but about 20 mins ago he then went and lay down. This could have been normal lying down.. he does do that but I do think he is suffering a bit as he is getting up front first, almost leaving his lower half on the floor before lying down again. In our house we call it dragging their bums - I am sure there is more technical term! We have seen it in others and him if they have gas ( bloss gets it with bananas) or if they were then going into stasis. it was always a sign that would bother me.

I will monitor him again and see how he goes later - whether he perks up.
I didn't give him tramadol as generally today, I don't feel he needs it - it may be an option though as an added pain relief before it or we just stop it altogether.

Its difficult, because whilst I don't want him suffering at all ever, if its an hour of discomfort but beneficial drug then he picks up again is it worth doing it.??

Off to go and watch him again!

Thanks for asking .xx

I didnt give him any this mornig. Due to my work hours and me wanting to spread the food / meds out and then watch him and be there if he needed me, I ddint think it would be wise.

I have done it tonight though.

He had his metacam and oats at half 6 with cabbage, a little SS and some apple.
At 7.45 I gave him his Zithromax.
All seemed well, he was lively enough and carried on nibbling his greens but about 20 mins ago he then went and lay down. This could have been normal lying down.. he does do that but I do think he is suffering a bit as he is getting up front first, almost leaving his lower half on the floor before lying down again. In our house we call it dragging their bums - I am sure there is more technical term! We have seen it in others and him if they have gas ( bloss gets it with bananas) or if they were then going into stasis. it was always a sign that would bother me.

I will monitor him again and see how he goes later - whether he perks up.
I didn't give him tramadol as generally today, I don't feel he needs it - it may be an option though as an added pain relief before it or we just stop it altogether.

Its difficult, because whilst I don't want him suffering at all ever, if its an hour of discomfort but beneficial drug then he picks up again is it worth doing it.??

Off to go and watch him again!

Thanks for asking .xx

I did a bit more digging regarding the Zithromax issue:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tailor-off-or-just-stop&p=6506566#post6506566

Has your vet suggested injecting it instead of giving it orally? (I am assuming it's oral Zithromax he's on at the moment?)

I did a bit more digging regarding the Zithromax issue:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tailor-off-or-just-stop&p=6506566#post6506566

Has your vet suggested injecting it instead of giving it orally? (I am assuming it's oral Zithromax he's on at the moment?)

I too did some digging today and found such a wide variety.....

No, it has only ever been given to me orally - both by Marie at Manor and my vets ordered it in for me as they don't usually use it.

Any discomfort he had tonight - and I was obsessively watching him - wasn't huge and after an hour - from giving it to him, it going into his system and then any discomfort - he was fine again. Preening himself, moving around freely and most importantly following me into the kitchen while I go his supper. he sleeps in the living room ( but free range) and I left him tucking in.

Having discussed it with my husband, tomorrow I am going to do the same but give tramadol an hour ahead first and then compare.
He is at the vets Friday morning and we will see what they think. I have to say though, I am leaning towards the benefit of it outweighing the negative but obviously we will take professional advice.
Little devil!!
xx

I too did some digging today and found such a wide variety.....

No, it has only ever been given to me orally - both by Marie at Manor and my vets ordered it in for me as they don't usually use it.

Any discomfort he had tonight - and I was obsessively watching him - wasn't huge and after an hour - from giving it to him, it going into his system and then any discomfort - he was fine again. Preening himself, moving around freely and most importantly following me into the kitchen while I go his supper. he sleeps in the living room ( but free range) and I left him tucking in.

Having discussed it with my husband, tomorrow I am going to do the same but give tramadol an hour ahead first and then compare.
He is at the vets Friday morning and we will see what they think. I have to say though, I am leaning towards the benefit of it outweighing the negative but obviously we will take professional advice.
Little devil!!
xx

Yes I love it when they do that - such a good sign :D

It really sounds like he's doing well, thanks to your super-vigilance.

Hope you all have a peaceful night x

Hi,

He is doing really well in himself thanks. Eating much more normally and not reacting as bad to the Zithromax. He had a check up yesterday and apart from the usual teeth growing at ridiculous angles everything else seemed good. The ulcer had cleared and no obvious signs of abscess.
He is back for another dental a week on Monday but we can take him any time earlier if need be.
when
You always know you are known on two separate occasions by 2 different staff members I have been introduced to a new receptionist as ' This is Jane and Blossom - you will see them loads, they may as well rent the flat upstairs!!'

We have survived another week and a good day has been had. I find it hard ot live in the moment and not have everything sorted in my head but with Bloss that's what we have to do!

Thanks for asking after him. Hope you are ok. x

Hi,

He is doing really well in himself thanks. Eating much more normally and not reacting as bad to the Zithromax. He had a check up yesterday and apart from the usual teeth growing at ridiculous angles everything else seemed good. The ulcer had cleared and no obvious signs of abscess.
He is back for another dental a week on Monday but we can take him any time earlier if need be.
when
You always know you are known on two separate occasions by 2 different staff members I have been introduced to a new receptionist as ' This is Jane and Blossom - you will see them loads, they may as well rent the flat upstairs!!'

We have survived another week and a good day has been had. I find it hard ot live in the moment and not have everything sorted in my head but with Bloss that's what we have to do!

Thanks for asking after him. Hope you are ok. x

Really good his stomach isn't so upset with the Zithromax.

Yes I know that feeling of being 'known' to the surgery :lol: They almost made a plaque for the chair me and my rabbits used!

I'm glad it's working out, even if as you say - moment to moment. It's hard not knowing what's going to happen. It gets easier with time I find, but only a bit :D

Back