• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blackavar - my snuggle bunny - 1st August 2015

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
My beautiful baby boy, my snuggle bunny. Your story has been told on here in various threads in the 23 months I was honoured to share my life with you. But here I will summarise it all in one place.

It all started with looking for a friend for Slipper in the summer of 2013 in the hopes of settling him down and also to have a cuddly bunny for me, still grieving for Dexter. My search had already gifted me with Badger and Blueberry when I came across an ad on Preloved - an ex BRC stud bunny who'd lost his mate the month before and so was being offered for a new home "where he'd be of more use". That sentence stuck in my head so I enquired and went to visit. It was you.

I brought you home, unneutered, unvaccinated and eating muesli with a ring on your hind leg. You didn't settle well and went into stasis. This was my first experience of stasis, but I got you through it. I brought you indoors and carried you with me everywhere I went. You only ate if you were in company. You even wet the bed which led to me hurriedly changing it before L came home. To this day I'm not sure which is worse - that he thought it was me that wet the bed, or that I let him believe it to stop him from being annoyed that I'd let you on the bed!

You recovered from stasis, I got you vaccinated, neutered, had that ring removed, got you microchipped and insured, changed you from muesli to pellets and bonded you into a quad - "my boys" - with Badger, Blueberry and Slipper. You had your own room and all was wonderful.

But, Badger passed away one night and soon after you fell out with Blueberry and eventually Slipper sided with Blueberry so I had to separate you. I reserved a lovely little girl bunny from BARC to come and bond with you and after a few months whilst she recovered from spaying, you bonded beautifully. Beforehand you'd suffered two separate stasis episodes and required two dentals. When alone, you got depressed, ate very little and consequently your teeth became painful and you went into stasis. But Cherry brought you a new lease of life - literally. You cheered up the second I introduced you both and all was good for almost 9 months. Then it was a hot summer's day and I thought you'd appreciate a run in the garden. Cherry was very smart and figured out a way to escape the garden leading to much amusement for the neighbours as I attempted to catch her. Where else would you find someone climbing over fences, ripping up wooden decking, crawling under said decking in mud, running around in heels or slippers & pyjamas or underwear? Unfortunately I was unable to catch her and I had to bond you with Jacquetta and Lady Katherine. I didn't want to give up on Cherry, but I knew you wouldn't cope well for long without her.

It was another easy, effortless bond - no humping, biting, fighting, fur pulling or chasing. It was amusing having three bunnies in the bathroom in a dog crate during bonding - the only neutral territory in the house. L was very self conscious about having to shower in front of the girls and kept telling them to avert their eyes :lol:

Then you went back into your room and all was well until I came in this morning and found you. The last time I saw you alive, you were all snuggled up together. It was a lovely sight and I was so happy. I will miss my snuggle bun. You loved curling up on the sofa with me and watching tv, you genuinely loved being picked up and cuddled. Despite having black claws, you were the easiest bunny to give a manicure too. You never struggled, just sat there and let me do it. None of the others with their pale coloured claws will sit still. The only time you fought me was when I had to syringe feed you recovery food during your stasis episodes. (Un?)fortunately I've become something of an expert at syringe feeding reluctant bunnies in the time I spent with you. And the moulting! How can such a small bunny moult so much fur and not be bald?! The pile of fur on the floor when I'd finished brushing you was the same size as you! I always joked you grew me a brand new bunny every season.

One thing I'll never forget was sitting in a restaurant last September when you were recovering from your second dental and stasis episode that week that had also included an emergency OOH charge and dentals/stasis weren't covered in your policy as it was a preexisting condition from before I'd gotten you insured. It was my grandma's 80th birthday party and my granddad asked me how my bunnies were. I explained about you and he said I should have you put to sleep. So I retorted indignantly, ok, I'll have Blackavar put to sleep when we have you put to sleep. That didn't go down well. He stormed off and I got a :censored: from my mum and as I'd also just been in a car accident two days prior which I had been keeping quiet to avoid spoiling the party, I just blurted that out too. They were telling me off for not keeping my mouth shut and taking **** so I said "oh, like the car accident I had on Wednesday then and carted off to a&e in the ambulance and my car is almost definitely a write off. You mean like that?" Yep, armageddon and they all stormed off and I was left sat there in the restaurant by myself. Luckily they'd already paid! :lol: I may not be able to stand up for myself, but I always stood up for you and all my bunnies. I will miss you so much, your soft fur, your cuddles, rubs behind the ears and kisses. You deserved so much more from life and I just hope you were happy in the 23 months we spent together xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bonding with Cherry:

Silly bunny, I was trying to clean your room so you laid in the middle of my swept up pile and rescattered it everywhere :roll::lol:

Snuggles from the early days:

Cuddles with Slipper:

Flopped on the bed with me the first few days with me:

In the kitchen recovering from stasis:

:cry: I am so sorry Sarah. That is a lovely tribute to him. He was very lucky you found him and brought him home where he got the love and attention he deserved

Thinking of you

Binky free Blackavar

Im really sorry you lost Blackavar:(He had a lovely life with you and was a very lucky bun.

Binky free lovely Blackavar.xx

:cry:...night night Blackavar....

What sad news... He was a gorgeous bunny and so reminded me of my wee Smudge. Sending you hugs xxxx

Back