• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling??

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi all, I've just been away for 4 days and Obi (my one year old mini lop) went to a rabbit boarding place (when I say rabbit boarding, it's with a lovely family that live locally to me who board rabbits, birds...all little animals) he's been once before and as much I struggle and worry about leaving him I need a holiday now and then....anyway they kindly post pictures on Facebook of your pet so you can see what your pet is up to whilst your away, it's really great and reassuring. However the family take lots of pics of Obi in their arms on their laps, he seems to love a cuddle with them....but he won't and never has let me pick him up! Now I know rabbits hate to be lifted off the ground and I kind of gave up a long time ago (he let me when he was a baby..but that lasted about 2 months) and now I get down to his level for cuddles, but I just can't get over how easily they pick him up, I've been back 2 days and Obi has been home, and I have tried on both days to pick him up just for a little while, he kicks out and just won't have it at all, I worry I might hurt him as he struggles....the only reason I really want to be able to pick him up is occassionally I need to get him into his travel basket to take him the vets, or give him a clean...and I struggle to do either of these things as he makes it quite clear he won't be picked up by me. I don't want to keep trying as he's a Snuffle bunny so I don't want to stress him, but I do find it really upsetting....is it me? Should I give up and accept it??? Sorry for the long post!!!!:wave:

It could be your confidence. If they have experience, they'll be confident in picking a bunny up and holding him securely. You're obviously nervous about it and he'll pick up on that and as a result panic. Honestly, I wouldn't fuss over a rabbit not liking to be picked up for cuddles, they're not really meant to like it anyway. It's just a bonus if they do, but I do understand your worries about needing to get him into a carrier, ect.

One way is putting the carrier up to his hutch/run and having some tempting nibbles inside to lure him in, then shut the door after him. The vet will then be able to handle him at the surgery and should be rabbit savvy and thus having experience.

Your approach of approaching him at his level is probably much more pleasant for him anyway. :)

I think its natural to feel a bit disappointed when someone else can get our pets to do things we cant. I know my get can turn rosie and trance her and when i tried to check for matting - none of it. None at all she scrambled off.

I am wondering if part of it may be confidence as youve said a few times of being scared to hurt or stress etc. It sounds a bit cliche but it is true that animals are less calm if the person is nervous.

Perhaps you can ask the boarders how they manage it and get tips? I cant see why they wouldnt be happy to show you and theres no reason you shouldnt be able to see. It could be down to things such as technique, confidence, environment etc.

Although im not a fan of picking rabbits up, i tend to use my hands (side and rear) to guide rosie into her carrier. At most i dont raise her more than a few inches from floor and she hasnt got got more than maybe 60-90cm to go? But thats personal choice, not suggesting thats hoe it shoukd be :).

Thanks both. I think it is definately confidence, as I tried to pick him up at the end of last year and he ended up leaping out of my hands head first into the skirting board...the horror of that has probably made us both nervous...when he was a baby I just scooped him up and he was happy, but as soon as he learnt that he could scamble off he did....he's a lone house bunny so I thought by picking him and giving him a bit of a cuddle now and then might make he feel a little less lonley and secure....I have a feeling this is faulty logic though!!! :?

I wouldnt worry about the incident knowing hes fine, everyones had such moments though i could understand its nerving.

I guess ita the rabbit will let you know what he feels is best for him. Even if i pop rosie onto my legs when sitting down she would stay for a minute and hop off and nestle into the side. When thinking about it rabbits dont lie over each other like dogs might do and tend to instead nestle close.

Back