• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poisonous Daffodil?

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
My 9 week old rabbit Bellatrix has just eaten a small daffodil head (whilst my sister was watching her!) I am worried as I think they are poisonous and she is so young? Should I be worried? What should I do? Thank you!

My 9 week old rabbit Bellatrix has just eaten a small daffodil head (whilst my sister was watching her!) I am worried as I think they are poisonous and she is so young? Should I be worried? What should I do? Thank you!

I would call your Vet for advice straight away. The flower is indeed toxic and the Vet may feel that your Rabbit needs to be admitted for fluids and observation. Abdominal pain and diarrhoea could occur and in a baby Rabbit this could be very serious. In very extreme cases daffodil poisoning can effect the heart and respiration.

I hope your Rabbit will be OK.

I would call your Vet for advice straight away. The flower is indeed toxic and the Vet may feel that your Rabbit needs to be admitted for fluids and observation. Abdominal pain and diarrhoea could occur and in a baby Rabbit this could be very serious. In very extreme cases daffodil poisoning can effect the heart and respiration.

I hope your Rabbit will be OK.

Thank you, my sister has just said she's not even sure if she ate it and Bellatrix is acting totally normally. Pooing, eating and drinking. What should I look out for or should i ring the vets anyway??

Thank you, my sister has just said she's not even sure if she ate it and Bellatrix is acting totally normally. Pooing, eating and drinking. What should I look out for or should i ring the vets anyway??

I would definitely ring the Vet if there is even the smallest suspicion that Bellatrix has eaten the head of a daffodil.

I would drop Parsnipbun (on this Forum) a message and ask advice if you can't get to see a vet.

Good luck x

Thanks for your help, in have rung the emergency vet and they said to keep an eye on her and if she appears normal not to worry as the flower was very small and it is eating he bulb that causes the problem. Is there anything different you would do? I'm closely monitoring how much she eats and drinks which has remained normal and her poos are large and golden as ever.

Thanks for your help, in have rung the emergency vet and they said to keep an eye on her and if she appears normal not to worry as the flower was very small and it is eating he bulb that causes the problem. Is there anything different you would do? I'm closely monitoring how much she eats and drinks which has remained normal and her poos are large and golden as ever.

Well done, it's always best to seek professional advice in this sort of situation. Things to look out for are signs of abdominal pain -not eating, restlessness, lots of stretching and pushing tummy to floor and/or sitting hunched up with eyes squinting. Also any increase in respiratory rate.

Hopefully if she did ingest anything it will have been a tiny amount of the least toxic part. She certainly sounds to be in good form at the moment xx

I'm glad you got advice from the vet!

You have done the right thing, and as the vet says, just watch to see that her behaviour is normal. Keep an eye on her for the next week or so to make sure she is eating and drinking as normal.

I'm sure everything will be OK. We've all learned something today :D

Back