• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best place to buy Hay

pollypocket

Warren Scout
Is there anywhere you can bulk buy Hay? Also what is the best place to buy hay from?
I buy from our local pet shop or pets at home, but where else dooes people recommend.

I buy hay by the bale from a horse feed place, lasts ages and is very good quality, only £5.75 and I can hardly pick it up its so big/heavy :thumb:

Local horse feed suppliers or farmers are the cheapest places to buy bales of hay if you have the room to store them. If you say whereabouts in the country you are, someone may be able to point you to a local supplier. For guidance, a bale costs generally around £4-£6.50 from horse places, and just fits in a standard 240 litre wheely bin.

There are some old threads that may be useful, eg:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-have-a-thread-(hay-bales)&highlight=burnhill

I've started buying hay by the bale too, from timothy hay online and now a local place. It smells amazing and the rabbits love it and won't eat the pet shop stuff now. They wrap the bale up for transport so no mess in the car.

I'm currently obsessed with a hay storage option where it can breathe, is easy to access and I can collect the mess and use it too. ;-)

I've started buying hay by the bale too, from timothy hay online and now a local place. It smells amazing and the rabbits love it and won't eat the pet shop stuff now. They wrap the bale up for transport so no mess in the car.

I'm currently obsessed with a hay storage option where it can breathe, is easy to access and I can collect the mess and use it too. ;-)

An old single duvet cover will make transport easy and less mess. You can use it for storage as well - in a shed, wheely bin, plastic garden storage box, etc. It needs to be out of the sun so that it doesn't sweat and go mouldy, and off the floor to avoid damp (eg on an old pallet on the shed floor).

An old single duvet cover will make transport easy and less mess. You can use it for storage as well - in a shed, wheely bin, plastic garden storage box, etc. It needs to be out of the sun so that it doesn't sweat and go mouldy, and off the floor to avoid damp (eg on an old pallet on the shed floor).

I've put one of those plastic garden storage benches in the covered aviary and I keep some in there (in one of these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20243192/ for easy carrying) but it needs refilling every week so it doesn't sit in there for long, so hopefully that's ok) But its the main supply in the garage I want to store properly. Thanks for the tips! :)

and off the floor to avoid damp.
We use a few bricks, plenty of space between them, and move them as the bale shrinks: with just one rabbit, it doesn't shrink very quickly! It's in the garage and the floor gets damp very easily, but it's nice and dark and airy (which is why it gets damp :roll:). When he was upstairs I rammed some in a binbag :)

B&M Bargains also does varying-quality hay. I've had two more-than acceptable bags from there and keep it for those times I can't get out to the farm shop :)

Back