• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my baby rabbit ready?

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
My 7 week old French Lop has been sleeping inside in a cage that I know is too small for and I feel terrible shutting her in it at night. My vet told be this was better than being outside in her large hutch as it would be too cold for her as she is so young and small. What do you think would be better? I could cover the front with tarpaulin to keep the wind out? Please help!

If she has been indoors in a warm house then she cannot live outdoors until later in the year. The overnight temperatures can still go below freezing at the moment (in the UK)

Can you build a temporary enclosure around her cage to allow her more space whilst she is inside ?

She was in a shed with the breeder so it will have been colder than the house. I'll maybe see if I can move the hutch into the shed if it will fit?

I think she would be ok if she were in the shed, you would also feel happier with that arrangement.

I think she would be ok if she were in the shed, you would also feel happier with that arrangement.

I'll see if it fits, fingers crossed! If not I will see how well I can insulate her hutch or try to get a setup indoors where she is safe and won't nibble the carpet (I'm worried about her, not the carpet btw!)

If she is going to be outside on her own I would get her a companion and they can then snuggle up together to keep warm if you're concerned.

I have an indoor pair that will be moving out but not for a good month or more until it gets warmer. Even with a hutch inside a shed and each other to cuddle up to its still waaaay colder than being indoors.

How about a puppy pen with lino (edges outside the pen) and vetbed or rugs? Then she can have a chance to stretch her legs at night when rabbits are generally most active.

Back