• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

broken lower jaw? experiences??

Can you try Frances Harcourt Brown now - cant recall when she is on holiday.

Yeah, it said earlier on the thread for all of this week (though she has the first of the vet CPDs this week so I'm suspecting she's preparing for that). it might be worth asking at her surgery (Crab Lane Vets) it one of the other vets would see him - Ruth is extremely rabbit savvy having been Frances' right hand woman for about 8 years.

Oh no I am so sorry!

I really hope your vet (or FHB?) can come up with a stable solution.

Sending many vibes for you and him xx

If I'm absolutely honest. When I rung crab lane vets for fhb last week I was absolutely disgusted as when I rung I had to leave my name and number as apparently fhb wasn't in until 1pm.. noone bothered to phone back so I rung back at 3pm.. I was told to hold the line and when the receptionist came back her words were 'frances says u have to go back to ur own vet' I even pleaded with them that he needed help from her but their reply was that she goes on holiday tomorrow so she can't do anything (this was the thursday) so my poor binky waited all day for nothing and I thought it was quite rude. Iv never met fhb but if that's how she is I don't think I want to meet her tbh. So a friend rung something along the lines of the royal London veterinary place and this is who recommended paul from chantry vets in Castleford.
When meeting paul he gave me the option to leave him as the break wasn't seriously bad or to Try to wire and glue,which I opted for. £360 later and it's still the same. He's got pain meds and is still eating brilliantly so I'm just leaving him how he is until Friday when he goes for his check up as putting him through the anaesthetic 3 times in less than 7 days is too risky.

If I'm absolutely honest. When I rung crab lane vets for fhb last week I was absolutely disgusted as when I rung I had to leave my name and number as apparently fhb wasn't in until 1pm.. noone bothered to phone back so I rung back at 3pm.. I was told to hold the line and when the receptionist came back her words were 'frances says u have to go back to ur own vet' I even pleaded with them that he needed help from her but their reply was that she goes on holiday tomorrow so she can't do anything (this was the thursday) so my poor binky waited all day for nothing and I thought it was quite rude. Iv never met fhb but if that's how she is I don't think I want to meet her tbh. So a friend rung something along the lines of the royal London veterinary place and this is who recommended paul from chantry vets in Castleford.
When meeting paul he gave me the option to leave him as the break wasn't seriously bad or to Try to wire and glue, which I opted for. £360 later and it's still the same. He's got pain meds and is still eating brilliantly so I'm just leaving him how he is until Friday when he goes for his check up as putting him through the anaesthetic 3 times in less than 7 days is too risky.

I can absolutely assure you that this is not how she is. Thinking about this more, that message should never have been taken in that form in the first place. Your case was either a referral or a second option. If it was a referral then your vet should have contacted her with all the information. If it was a second opinion then it should have been an consultation and an appointment booked. I'm guessing that she was consulting between her arrival and your call so that would be why you were on hold then the quick response. So sorry you had that experience, I totally understand why you wouldn't want to go back there.:cry:

I hope Binky continues to do well and everything is good at the check up.

Last edited:
My vets rung and she was told that fhb would super glue it but if that didn't work just to leave it so that's why I rung and asked for her to see binky but that was the response I got. I was in tears buy they just kept telling me to go back to my own vet.

You are having a hard time.

I agree about not having more GAs in a short time. We had a rabbit with a broken front leg that would not keep a cast on so in the end I went for amputation as he had 3 GAs in less than 2 weeks and it just wasn't working.

If he is eating and happy, I would leave it for now as well. The jaw bones are very thin but there should hopefully be some healing going on. At least you had the neuter done successfully so it wasn't a total loss.

Good luck for Fri - hopefully the jaw is aligned and there won't be any long term teeth issues - but even then, they will be manageable.

Out of interest - did the vet put notches in the teeth to keep the wire in place, or was it just wrapped round? As the teeth grow continually, there would be no permanent damage. Just curious.

He made tiny incisions into the gum line and put an extremely thin wire around in a figure of 8 then applied the dental glue (the one used for crowns) the plan was for him to keep coming back and having a small amount of glue re added and blow dried to set while he was still awake as he is a very good little bun, let's u do anything with him but that plan hasn't come together so god knows what's going to happen

Here's a photo of what his teeth look like. This was last Wednesday when he ate the glue off the first time

I am sorry you are both going through such a hard time :(

I hope it still heals well and I'm glad binky is continuing to eat through it all. Hopefully the worse that will happen will be misaligned incisors which will need regular burring. Which is in no way the end of the world.

Sending lots of healing thoughts your way x

Back