• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunny loves digging, but ...

RosemaryG

Warren Scout
Hi all

Our indoor bunny Tallulah has started to enjoy digging in her litter tray, so much so that practically every day the floor of their pen is covered with litter and poo! She's only been doing this for a couple of weeks. The litter tray is quite deep - it's the one Lakeland sell for soaking large oven shelves - but she still manages to push all the litter into one corner then turns around and scoops it all back again but inevitably some escapes. Her husbun, Bugsy, doesn't share this hobby though.

Both are very good litter wise and only poo and wee in the tray. They have a separate hay tray which they will both climb into but never seem to poo there!

They have plenty of other toys, tunnels, chews etc in the pen so I don't think it's a boredom issue.

Does anyone have experience of indoor digging? Is there something else or better I can give her to dig in ?

thanks

You could try a hooded cat litter tray, or cut a hole in the side of a tall storage box with a lid, might contain the mess a bit more :thumb:

Rosie has a lidded large cat litter box and then a large tray in front of hay so if she decides to dig it can only go in the hay box :thumb:

Since coming to me she has thankfully never decided to dig out the litter tray but I leave them in position just incase :D

e637407237b7448aedf14ed52c07a0d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An old piece of material such as a curtain or duvet cover can be enough to satisfy digging instincts in indoor buns in my experience. Totally mess free, just watch they don't chew and eat the fabric.

I have a few litter trays for each set up so that they can use one for digging in, if they want (which they do seem to).

Had the same problem with our house bun Boo...litter and poops all over the place in the morning yet Reuben, her brother just used to watch her! Haha...same as others I invested in a hooded cat litter box and took the swing door off and voila! No mess :) ....also Pets at Home sell large car litter trays with a detachable rim around it which also keeps the majority of the litter in....if you don't have space for a larger hooded type ..good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, lots of helpful advice.

I popped into P@H and found litter trays that were lipped so hopefully will contain the majority of her digging efforts.

While I was there, I spotted this, it was in the sale :) so got one for the buns. Its been in their pen for a few days now and they love it, popping in and out and scratching at the base - its what it was intended for originally

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/cat/cat-beds/cat-beds-21102--1/floral-scratch-house

Back