• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with snuffles

since his first dose yesterday he seems quite sleepy but his appetite has picked up quite a bit which was one of my main concerns, so I am quite happy with the results.

What other pain killers can be used for rabbits?

Metacam is the one most regularly prescribed for rabbits, but Tramadol can also be useful. Not all rabbits get on with is very well though, so you need to use with caution.

How is he feeling today?

Henry has been much the same for the past week despite the metacam, He has managed to maintain weight which is good.

I have been thinking about getting an x-ray to see if it could be impacted tooth roots, I have rang my vet today and asked about this, He said he would be happy to x-ray and to operate if this is the problem (and he thinks it could likely be) but he said there would be quite a big risk due to his age and past traumatic GA.

Now obviously I haven't a clue what to do, Some advice and opinions would be great!

Henry has been much the same for the past week despite the metacam, He has managed to maintain weight which is good.

I have been thinking about getting an x-ray to see if it could be impacted tooth roots, I have rang my vet today and asked about this, He said he would be happy to x-ray and to operate if this is the problem (and he thinks it could likely be) but he said there would be quite a big risk due to his age and past traumatic GA.

Now obviously I haven't a clue what to do, Some advice and opinions would be great!

It is not really possible to give an opinion as to what you should do. We do not 'know' your Rabbit. What is 'right' for one Rabbit will not be 'right' for another. I do think that a GA would be a huge risk given all his respiratory tract problems. Then you'd need to think about whether you would want him to have pretty major Dental surgery if the Vet decided that tooth extractions were necessary. If it were a case of 'just' a straight forward Dental then that may not be such a huge issue in itself, but the GA would remain a risk.

You have previously stated that Henry had become very miserable. I am assuming that as you are now saying that he remains 'much the same' he is still miserable ?

He's just not the same rabbit. He still has the constant eye and nasal discharge, he is eating but spends most of the day hunched over and rarely moves around. If tou didn't know him or rabbits then he would look ok but I can see the spark has gone. He just seems to be surviving at the moment.

Part of me thinks if we get the x-rays and see what's going on at least we are trying, surely that's better than leaving him how he is?

Part of me thinks if we get the x-rays and see what's going on at least we are trying, surely that's better than leaving him how he is?

He cant just be left as he is now. So really you need to decide if it is time to let him go or if you want the Vet to GA him for the Xrays and see what, if anything, they reveal. The Vet would also need to address any problems with the crowns of his teeth such as spurs. If he does not make it through the GA at least he will know nothing about it all, he will be asleep and he wont be 'suffering'.

I am sorry I cant say what you should do, only you are in a position to make that decision along with the Vet treating your Rabbit. I totally understand what a difficult decision it can be.

Is there a good recommended vet you can see for a second opinion before you consider making drastic decision about GA's and such like?

Henry has got worse again, the discharge seems to be black cling his nasal passage and has made his eye quite sore. I have decided to take the risk and get him x-rayed. I may even see if the vet can go straight in and operate if his tooth roots are the problem.

I've exhausted all the vets in my local area, the vets I'm with now are excellent with my rats so I do have full confidence in them. Chine house is my closest exotic vets but it's over an hours drive from me and I think that would be a bit much for Henry.

I bit the bullet and Henry went in for his op today. The vet had a good look in his mouth and down his throat but all looked fine! Even his x-rays came back clear... He did try to flush his tear duct but it was completely blocked.

Hes advised me to stay on the baytril for now...

I bit the bullet and Henry went in for his op today. The vet had a good look in his mouth and down his throat but all looked fine! Even his x-rays came back clear... He did try to flush his tear duct but it was completely blocked.

Hes advised me to stay on the baytril for now...

I'm glad you've got some sort of resolution to the issue. Poor Henry and his blocked tear duct. Sometimes warm compresses just underneath the eye will help loosen blocked gunge and help it to come out.

Back