• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dog crate for rabbits??

Bassdoodle

Young Bun
I've seen people use them before and I'd like to bring my rabbits inside when its really cold so was thinking of getting a crate as they are cheaper

The crate I have seen is
48" long
30.4" wide
32.3" tall

Is that ok for 2 rabbits?? Obviolsy not full time just on a night when its cold or if its really cold during the day too but they would be alloud out to run around a bit

My rabbits are 2 females ones a mini lop other is a English they are both spayed and are about 8 months old I think - I adopted them so not to sure on age

These are the first rabbits I've owned and I want to give them the best life possible so yea :p

If a crate isn't a good idea could you maybe give me some names of some good decent sized cages

Thank you

If they live outside permanently you can't bring them inside unless the temperature is pretty much the same. Bringing buns indoors and putting them out again can seriously damage their lungs because of the difference in temperature. If you want to bring them in then keep them in until the beginning of Summer.

Dog crates can be used to house buns but only as a base. They would need at least a 6ft (the bigger the better) run attached permanently to be happy. I used a 42" dog crate as a base for my buns' litter tray and as a hospital cage when they needed to be separated with cage rest. You really can't keep even a single bun in just a dog crate...even a large one.

If you want to bring them indoors why not dedicate a room to them and let them free range with the door taken off the crate? Either that or get a puppy pen to attach to the crate. :) I think you can get them pretty cheap on ebay.

Thank you for your reply
I'm not sure what I'll do I had no idea that it would damage their lungs, so glad I posted on here first before I went ahead with it :S
This winter isnt too bad -there's no snow just a bit of wind and rain, but I think if it does snow I will bring them in and do what you said and have a crate with a puppypen added onto it
I'd love for them to have their own room but I just haven't the space.. Haha..

Thanks for your advice :)

Ours stay outside all winter. We put snugglesafes in if it's to go below -5. With plenty of bedding they'll be fine.
What do they live in outside?

They are in a hutch and it has a water proof cover over it
We have been putting a ton of extra hay and straw in which they have both been burrowing into so I think they will be ok as long as it doesn't get too much colder

Back