• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I still have my 2 rabbits neutered?

Fruitbat99

New Kit
Hello.

I have 2 female rabbits at 7 months old. I brought them both in May and they are kept in the same cage. In the first month they were very friendly they just sat around the back garden(where the cage is) walked around the grass, I used to pick them up and stroke them. Now they run off every time i go near them. Impossible to catch them as rabbits are fast. Takes a few minutes to get them back into the cage!! The other day they had a bit of a scrap inside the cage but are fine now.

I was wondering if I can still have my rabbits neutered even at this age? What will it do to them and will they stop being like this or not? Do I just go to a local vet and ask for it or do I have to go to some other place where they do that? What are the consequences of neutering rabbits? Will they be able to still live together after neutering?

By the way sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I'm new here and still getting used to this website.

Hi & welcome :wave:

Spaying your girls at 7 months is absolutely fine and is a really good idea. I'm not sure it will mean they stop running away as neutered or not rabbits don't like to be caught. What neutering does do is reduces the risk of cancer developing in the womb. Sadly up to 80% of unspayed females develop cancer of the uterus by the time they are 5 years old. In addition it can help to reduce aggression/fighting. The best thing to do is search for a rabbit savvy vet in your area and then you can arrange a consultation with them to discuss surgery.

Someone will be along soon with more information/advice :thumb:
I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to get them done both at the same time or separately? It will mean a short period of splitting them up and then re-bonding them.

Last edited:
If they aren't scrapping now then I'd leave them but if they fight again I'd probably separate them, spay, recover and then reintroduce :D if you need any rabbit savvy vet recommendations be sure to post on rabbit chat with your location and I'm sure people will be able to help.

I would get them spayed asap to try to avoid hormonal fighting, time really is of the essence if you want to keep them together. My last pair of girls were spayed at the same time, and I kept them together, they were fine, they recovered together too. If I hadn't have had them spayed I would have had to split them up as their hormones had kicked in at 5 months and they were starting to chase each other. Things can soon escalate so if they have already had a little scrap then you need to be even more vigilant watching them.

Hello.

I have 2 female rabbits at 7 months old. I brought them both in May and they are kept in the same cage. In the first month they were very friendly they just sat around the back garden(where the cage is) walked around the grass, I used to pick them up and stroke them. Now they run off every time i go near them. Impossible to catch them as rabbits are fast. Takes a few minutes to get them back into the cage!! The other day they had a bit of a scrap inside the cage but are fine now.

I was wondering if I can still have my rabbits neutered even at this age? What will it do to them and will they stop being like this or not? Do I just go to a local vet and ask for it or do I have to go to some other place where they do that? What are the consequences of neutering rabbits? Will they be able to still live together after neutering?

By the way sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I'm new here and still getting used to this website.

I would suggest getting them neutered at the same time, with a vet who is confident doing the procedure. I would keep them together ALL the time, but watch them carefully when they come home. I would also make sure they have a big area to live in together - you don't say how big your cage is? I prefer sheds or playhouses to hutches, as there's so much more scope for interesting surroundings, especially now it's getting wet/cold/dark and not so conducive to them being out on the grass/garden.

Back