• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit owner needing advice for winter

shelleylea29

Young Bun
Hi, ive been lurking for a while and felt it time I posted my first question. Im getting my first pair of mini lop baby rabbits this weekend and can't wait. The babies are from a breeder and are currently kept outside. My rabbits will be kept outside in a large double hutch with an added run, hubby built for me. Im slightly worried with the babies living outside as its freezing at the mo. Im insulating the hutch at present with the foil bubble wrap stuff and ive also bought a wind/rainproof cover, I intend to fill the hutch with plenty of straw, paper and hay and have also puchased a snuggle safe heat thingy. Do I need to do anything else to the hutch to keep it nice and warm

Thanks

Shell

Have a look at snugglesafe heatpads... gives a bit of extra warmth, although I think some buns are quite happy out and about ignoring the cold.

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum :wave:
It sounds like your doing everything you need to do. I use supreme barley straw in my rabbits bedding box, it's lovely and soft, much softer than normal straw in my opinion, not at all spikey, and it's cheep enough too.
Don't be surprised if the bunnies seem to stay outside in the freezing cold, they seem to like it, no matter how warm and cosy a space you make for them! :roll:

Oh that's the one I've bought, it did seem nice and soft. I've also invested in the snuggle safe as recommended, this will definitely keep them toastie when the dreaded British winter kicks in 😁

Hi there, I am currently winterproofing my hutch too and am about to make perspex shutters for the mesh parts. I've put a cardboard box with a hole inside the hutch aswell and filled it with straw and packed around the top and sides with straw as well, they love it, and both got very cross with me last night when I took it all out to change the straw and check for wet bits ;-)

I've lined the hutch externally with the silver foiled bubble wrap which is usually for lofts. (sides, rear and roof)
The front mesh now has perspex with air holes drilled in it slotted in place.
Then a thermal hutch cover over the top
2x snuggle safes when it really gets cold.

Back