• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire Mesh

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi All :wave:

I need to purchase some heavy duty wire mesh either in panels or in rolls (I don't particularly mind). I am on a tight budget and just cant seem to figure out the cheapest way to get what I need!

I am planning to make a 6-8ft run with it, which will also be walk in (I will probably put plastic roofing over the top).

Please does any have any tips or ideas where I can get this?

Chloe

You'll want weld mesh, either 19g or 16g (16g is thicker wire/more expensive, but good if foxes are a high risk near you), 1"x1/2" gaps is a good size (the smaller the holes the more expensive it gets). Generally at those sizes you'd buy it on a roll rather than sheets.

I'd recommend getting a roll the height that matches where you are trying to fit it, so if you are doing a 3' high run or 3' wide panels, get a 3' high roll etc. makes it easier to fit :)

Ok, thats very useful... Thanks for your advice! I dont suppose you or anyone knows of anywhere online, or a shop I can go to that would offer a good price?:shock:x

I haven't bought any for ages but I'm sure someone will have some recommendations for you :)

Hi All :wave:

I need to purchase some heavy duty wire mesh either in panels or in rolls (I don't particularly mind). I am on a tight budget and just cant seem to figure out the cheapest way to get what I need!

I am planning to make a 6-8ft run with it, which will also be walk in (I will probably put plastic roofing over the top).

Please does any have any tips or ideas where I can get this?

Chloe

The best way to mesh an aviary or a very tall run is to mesh each individual upright section separately rather than creating a much larger frame and trying to mesh within that. So if you know the width of each panel you may well be able to get a roll in that width, which would mean there's not a lot of cutting for you to do (unless you have any power tools which will cut the mesh easily).

It's recommended to get 19g (or thicker) and 1 x 1/2 inch holes at minimum, but I like 1/2 x 1/2 inch holes.

This mesh is £40 delivered for 30metres of 19g 1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh. It's 3ft wide so if you make your panels 3ft wide you only have to cut the top, which will significantly quicken the top - believe me :lol: It depends on the actual dimensions of the aviary you want to build, but unless it's 8 x 8ft you should have more than enough in a 30metre roll :D Because it's galvanised it stores well outside - I've had a roll outside for 3 years and there's not a bit of rust on it. If you really want to use it up you could put another layer of mesh on the inside of the aviary horizontally across the bottom part of the aviary. This then gives a valuable second layer of mesh against predators for minimum effort and cutting!

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item418757c0e5 (it would help if I linked it wouldn't it!)

In case you didn't know they recommend securing the mesh with U nails if you're just stapling it on, as they provide extra strength. It's best to staple at regular intervals at diagonals, and alternate the angle of the staples all the way up. :thumb: It's best to put the mesh on the inside of the run/aviary too, as 1) it means the bunnies can't access the wood to nibble it and 2) it's easier for a predator to pull the mesh off (especially when they can access the staples) than it is to push it off (especially when they have no access to the staples!).

I would definitely recommend meshing the roof underneath the plastic sheeting if that's not something you had considered. The plastic will be fantastic to keep the rain off but it isn't predator proof :thumb:

Last edited:
I bought 16g weldmesh from ebay last time I got it, from a seller called easipet. It was the cheapest price for the size of roll I needed at the time, although that was in May.

Thanks veyr much for your suggestions so far.. Very useful! It feels like I have been googling for hours!! Yaretzi... thanks thats the best I have seen on ebay definitley! It helps now I know what I am looking for...

I did find this, it doesnt say whether its 16g or 19g just says the thickness...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Garden-Fencing-Square-Wire-Netting-Galvanized-Various-Sizes-Selectable/301135330764?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D2de90cef90354cf393e7d8d805b9bfdd%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140122125356%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D121271314179&rt=nc

What do you think, is this suitable? x

Is a 1inchx 1inch mesh hole too big? I would prefer to get the 16g but can on really find it at this mesh size? 1in x 1in sounds small but as you recommended 1in x 1/2 in or smaller, would that definitely not be suitable? Xxx

I have 1" - a cat could probably get a paw through to poke but yaretzi's suggestion of double lining the bottom part would solve that. 1" is nicer on the upper part as bigger gaps make it more see-through.

Thank you so much... Ok! I know what I am after now :) I will double line the bottom as suggested... ;):thumb: :D I'm so excited to get building, I hope we have some dry weather soon :)

After much googling I have purchased from easipet on ebay :) There are a couple of sellers slightly cheaper but easipet seems to have better feedback / looked more trustworthy to me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111392167407

I got 30m of 19g 1" x 1". Ill double line the bottom of the run,need to go and get lots of wood now!!! :) x

Back