• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW Got any tips on Getting ready for Winter?

We used to bring Charlie (first bun) in for the first few winters, just into the garage, but after he was about 3 or 4 we just shut him in his hutch overnight. Then after about 5 or 6 we left him to it, just put a net curtain over his run when it showed: keeps the snow off without blocking too much light or air! He liked the snow :) He was a single Nethie but the cold didn't bother him, right up until he died suddenly one snowy Sunday morning in February '98!

My buns have got into the habit of going to the toilet in their bedroom over the summer, and sleeping outdoors. Do you think they will get out of this habit when the weather gets colder, so they're bedroom is clean to sleep in? Otherwise I am going to have to clean it twice a day, which will be a pain

By the way it's WonderWoman, I just changed my name :)

winter safe

IMG_3633_zpsd20da765.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is my buns set up (its changed since this photo) They have a shower curtain covering the run which works really well by the way and was super cheap. Its actually too big but it means when it rains I can fold down the end to give them more protection. They also have a p@H thermal hutch cover and a layer of carpet on the roof under the cover.

In their bed i currently have a cat bed and another one downstairs. I lost a bun to cold when I was younger so I'm a bit paranoid about it now I've got buns again. Is it best to remove the beds and fill them up with straw instead?
The rest of the hutch is just lino with no bedding on should i be layering everything with straw now?

I just find that they abandon their litter trays when they have straw throughout.

I have insulated my shed roof with reflective bubble wrap to help keep heat in

I've also insulated using the same...with an outdoor hutch I use it to line the outside of the hutch then put a weather proofed plywood layer over that, on the outside.

With my shed, i've lined the inner walls and roof with silver reflective bubble wrap, then put the plywood on top of that, inside the shed.... with the sleeping cosy areas inside shed.

With my runs I've used clear 'pvc corrugated sheeting for the roofs', and clear 'pvc carpet protector runners' for the rain / windward sides.. leaving the less gusty side free for views out to garden, sky, etc. They are very sturdy, insulating, and don't flap in the wind when fixed down well...and they let the light in!
I've got a Run hide / guinea pig hutch at the end of the primary run for snug cover.

Trying to source hay and straw bales....as always .
Bought the snuggle pads...but, knowing my Ferni bun..she'll just think it's an alien from a scary movie.

Last edited:
I have found over the last 3 winters that if i totally cover the runs with thick builders polythene weighted down with slabs to prevent it blowing off in the gales.. The run is unbelievably warmer than the shed.

I found By doing this and leaving only a tiny gap overnight, the buns managed really well , even in -10 temperatures.. I put a boiling hot snugglesafe under their waterbowl and out a ping pong ball in the water and it helped it to stay liquid for buns to drink.

My hutch when i had it was in the shed and totally stuffed with straw, this along with double thickness cardboard boxes stuffed with hay and straw. The buns managed really really well....

Brilliant...! I'm going to try stuffing as lots of straw and hay into boxes as I can and see what they do with it.

I won't try blankets. Newspaper, straw and hay only... for now and see how it goes .

I always clean my Buns toilet areas twice a day. It's normal and proper..i thought.

Although, if they going In the bedroom, I get what you mean....u don't want cold wet buns in winter...are they litter trained ?

Last edited:
For those who use straw, try barley straw, it's so soft, not at all spiky or sharp like some straw can be. I always use this in winter now to keep the buns snug.

Ok you lot have got me thinking now , my bunnies currently have a gazebo over the top of them , I was thinking of putting the sides on and putting some blankets over the hutch would that be enough ???

Well I've tried the blanket (rug) which she loved in the house. We placed it in the bedroom area of her hutch and then popped a snugglesafe under it to keep her warm and the first thing she did was move her rug around and sit out in the cold....

so last night we tried again and she did the same... I ended up putting lots of hay ontop of it for her again and she still didn't want to sleep there...

It looks like the rug she so muchly loved indoors isn't loved as much outdoors..

bought another snugglesafe heat pad so she will have two...

Driving me crazy...

I think the most important thing I've learnt from you all is:

Buns are awkward: provide for them and do your best, and they'll use your lovely provisions if they want to.

Horse to water and all that!

Well I've tried the blanket (rug) which she loved in the house. We placed it in the bedroom area of her hutch and then popped a snugglesafe under it to keep her warm and the first thing she did was move her rug around and sit out in the cold....

so last night we tried again and she did the same... I ended up putting lots of hay ontop of it for her again and she still didn't want to sleep there...

It looks like the rug she so muchly loved indoors isn't loved as much outdoors..

bought another snugglesafe heat pad so she will have two...

Driving me crazy...

Well last night I thought I'd try something else...

removed all the woodshavings and cleaned the whole place up.. instead of placing hay everywhere I placed it in a container. on the lower level, I only placed her cosy rug in the top part where she normally sleeps and then placed her snugglesafe under the rug...

this morning I was woken up by the sound of her stanping her feet... it looks like she didn't sleep very well.. as when I bought her inside she just went straight down to the rug in the kitchen and went to sleep...

Back