• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help - rescue girl for my lonely bun!

Currant_Bun

Young Bun
Hi all,:wave: been a while since I've posted but I'd really appreciate some info / tips on bonding a new rescue bun with my bun. So, quick back story, I've had Riki approximately 6 months now and had him spayed just over 2 weeks ago and he's recovering well. I am now I'm keen to finally adopt him a companion. I'm in talks with a local rescue centre who has a few single female buns available for him to meet but by the sounds of it, once they have met once at the centre the rest will be up to me :O :O Will I need to keep them separate and for how long? Another factor is I have decided to move him outside where he will have constant access to a large run, I love the idea of house buns but it just doesn't seem to work for us in our situation (two children in and out of house, partner that works shifts) :( Anyway, I've found a 6x2x2 hutch with a 6x6 run underneath from happy hutch that I think will be ok for him and a lady bun (he's a small / medium) the rescue centre suggested this would make a good neutral territory for them to bond... So yea, um thats about it really, if anyone can direct me to a good article on bonding rabbits or if anyone can tell me what I need to do I'd really appreciate it:D :thumb:

I would put both bunnies into the new hutch when you get them home and keep a close eye on them. Hopefully they will get along very well and you will finish up with 2 very happy rabbits. The boy will probably chase the girl for a bit, this is normal and can last up to 3 days. Then they will settle down with each other. If they start fighting then you will have to separate them. Please ask for more advice if needed.

I would put both bunnies into the new hutch when you get them home and keep a close eye on them. Hopefully they will get along very well and you will finish up with 2 very happy rabbits. The boy will probably chase the girl for a bit, this is normal and can last up to 3 days. Then they will settle down with each other. If they start fighting then you will have to separate them. Please ask for more advice if needed.

Wow, that seems really straight forward! Riki is a pretty laid back bun I think so hopefully it will all run fairly smoothly.... I guess I'll just have to come back if it doesn't lol! Thank you:thumb:

Back