• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Xeno 450- UD post 30- :-)

Thanks Jane. I've used this product for many years with many bunnies and never had a problem but this is the first time I've used it on Crystal and she is presenting with what I would suspect is a crampy stomach. She only had it about two-three hour ago so I'm thinking this is related. I've dosed her up and she is brighter but this is so different from anything I've seen in a bunny from this.

I obviously lost Moon to Xenex but Moon presented very differently from Crystal.

:?

Washing off any residue that might be still on her skin and fur, may help.

If it is the ivermectin that she is reacting to, I know that certain breeds in particular, can be sensitive to it and it can sometimes cause toxicity.

My personal feeling, and I may be wrong, was that if there was an actual reaction to the actual stuff itself, it wouldn't come this quick without other outward signs, she would be showing signs of discomfort or itching or redness or whatever. I wouldn't expect it, if it were toxicity, to be absored and come on this quick?

Would that be an inaccurate presumption?

I'm not much good with info regarding spot on treatment with ivermectin, as we don't have that preparation here in the US. But I would imagine with it being a spot on treatment for external parasites, that it is meant to be absorbed somewhat quickly, though no idea of what the actual tissue distribution or rate would be. I know in oral administration that toxicity can happen very quickly, but that's to be expected.

Right.

Reaction to the Ivermectin.

It's either that condition where she has a genetic mutation and is missing a protein that protects her brain- if this is the case, then I've caught it early, she's had a shampoo and blow dry (aw) and it's a case of supportive treatment (gut stimulants, syringe feeding, sub cut fluids) and she shouldn't get worse. But if she does, back to the vets.

However, I may have overdosed her. I followed the instructions on the box, however, they differ from those on NOAH's Compendium (who get their info from the drug companies). The vet has said I need to contact Genitrix to discuss this as that may also be to blame.

He's not see this in a rabbit before.

As you acted so promptly to get her treated hopefully she will make a good recovery. Sending lots more vibes for her.

Your Rabbits are certainly making things extra stressful for you at the moment. I know that it can be extremely draining both physically and mentally.

Thanks Jane.

She's very, very sleepy. A bit like when on the opioid pain relief meds.

I have beaten her into submission (not literally) and she is now asleep on a snuggly cushion, rather than the concrete.

I've woken up agd gotten up reAdy for fluids, meds and food but she's very very normal :-D eaten a load of stuff from me willingly and pottering around nicely.

That's so wonderful to hear. I'm sure it's quite the relief to see her improving. Thank goodness you were able to notice something being wrong and get her to the vet right away. It's probably made all the difference in her recovering so quickly. I know of someone that this just happened to this past week as well, but the rabbit was much worse off and was extremely lethargic, but luckily still recovered.

I'm a bit leery of using ivermectin myself, for some of my buns, as many of them are the type of breed that may have the ivermectin sensitivity similar to the MDR1 gene in collie dogs. I don't know if it's been proven in rabbits, but I've read enough accounts of rabbits with the Vienna gene, having bad reactions to it. Maybe it's just a case of overdose and not the gene causing it, who knows.

Really glad your bun is ok :)

So glad to hear Crystal is recovered this morning. :)
One of my quandaries with both the bunnies and my Yorkie (the latter being very sensitive to lots of meds) it always worries me using anti-parasitics. I've dosed the bunnies with Revolution before but my vet usually prepares the dose for me and triple checks that it's the right kind...the one time she didn't have the ampules ready I was too scared to draw it up myself for fear I'd get it wrong or that it wasn't the one we'd used before. :(

Thinking of you. I know you've got a lot going on with your bunnies at present so I'm glad this got sorted easily. :) xxxx

:shock:

Is that not sheer negligence on the part of the manufacturer?!

*nods*

I called as a general enquiry about dose rates and as soon as I explained the situation she went 'I'm sorry, I'm unable to talk with you about this, I am only able to speak with your vet'.

Which she will do, and he will, hopefully, back me, as it was his find.

*nods*

I called as a general enquiry about dose rates and as soon as I explained the situation she went 'I'm sorry, I'm unable to talk with you about this, I am only able to speak with your vet'.

Which she will do, and he will, hopefully, back me, as it was his find.

That sounds suspiciously like a cover up...

I wonder how many other cases of this have occurred?!

Poor Crystal! Great job catching it so early!

Back