• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis

Jo-York

New Kit
Hi I'm new to this site. Have a dwarf lop, Floppsy for at least three years, she was a rescue bunny as her old owner wasn't feeding her. She came with her sister Arsey (because she really was) but unfortunately Arsey died about three months ago. I went out and bought her a new playmate but unfortunately Floppsy didn't like Cookie so then I had to get Cookie a new playmate and then I was hooked. I ended up with five bunnies in total and loved each and every one of them. They had the run of the garden when Floppsy was locked in and the run of the house. A week and a half ago one of them got Myxi, I tried to save him but he was only 10 weeks old and I lost Binky last night. I have had to have Cookie and Beau pts this morning as they also were showing signs. This was a really aggressive strain of Myxi and I just know they wouldn't have survived it. I have Sebastian and Floppsy left and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of them. I have been so ignorant, even though I have had Floppsy for three years I didn't know domestic rabbits could get myxi. I blame myself totally for neglecting my bunnies. I live in the York area. Miss my babies so much already, have fun at the bridge my babies.

Firstly let me welcome you to RU. You will get loads of help and support on her so feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Such a sad introduction, but I sincerely hope that your other two bunnies manage to pull through.

I've owned rabbits since 1995, and I am still on a learning curve, as I think many RU members as too.

Please be kind to yourself and try not to beat yourself up about what happened to your other bunnies. I've never lost a bunny to mxy, however due to lack of knowledge in the past I have lost a couple of bunnies.

RU members will understand how you are feeling and will no doubt be very supportive.

Take care.

Sorry to hear you have lost your lovely rabbits to this horrid disease. Do you have wild rabbits close by which can pass the disease on via insects or mosquitos etc.? If your other 2 bunnies haven't been in contact with the deceased ones there is a chance they will be ok in which case we would urgently recommend you have them vaccinated. There is a possibility that your other 2 may also have Myxi as well so I would suggest you keep them as isolated as possible for a couple of weeks and then if they are sill healthy, get them vaccinated. Don't let them out on the grass, just keep them as I said isolated and in a couple of weeks you should be able to be reasonably sure they are safe from this disease and can go ahead with the vaccination.

On the other hand, you could have them vaccinated straightaway but if they have already got the virus the vaccine won't save them.

I hope your surviving 2 will be ok.

sorry to hear this :cry: hope your remaining bunnies will be ok, im sure you will get lots of advice fro, the forum
what area do you live in to maybe warn others of an outbreak

Thankyou.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have separated the two bunnies I have left. My vet has told me to leave it one month, put them in quarantine and he will vaccinate them after that time. I am then going to wait another two weeks before I bring them back together. I do live in a rural community but my garden is very closed off so no other wildlife can get in. The only thing I can think of is that I either brought it in with my newest rabbit Binky or in some hutches I was given. Sebastian was put in solitary until I could get him neutered as he was being a bit of a naughty boy and pulling fur out of the others. Being naughty I hope has saved his life. Can you believe though, that the breeder I bought Binky from didn't even know that rabbits have to be vaccinated and she lives in the countryside. She asked me what to look out for and what does it look like. Rest assured she does now. I am going to post on FB what has happened and my friend who works at a vets is going to do a myxomatosis awareness drive on their website.

I live in near York in North Yorkshire, if you have any other ideas on how I can make people aware I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on telling all the vets in my area.

I am wishing my life away for my other bunnies to be ok. I love them, love them, love them, as I am sure everyone on this forum does.

Once again, thank you so much for your advice and kind words.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have separated the two bunnies I have left. My vet has told me to leave it one month, put them in quarantine and he will vaccinate them after that time. I am then going to wait another two weeks before I bring them back together. I do live in a rural community but my garden is very closed off so no other wildlife can get in. The only thing I can think of is that I either brought it in with my newest rabbit Binky or in some hutches I was given. Sebastian was put in solitary until I could get him neutered as he was being a bit of a naughty boy and pulling fur out of the others. Being naughty I hope has saved his life. Can you believe though, that the breeder I bought Binky from didn't even know that rabbits have to be vaccinated and she lives in the countryside. She asked me what to look out for and what does it look like. Rest assured she does now. I am going to post on FB what has happened and my friend who works at a vets is going to do a myxomatosis awareness drive on their website.

I live in near York in North Yorkshire, if you have any other ideas on how I can make people aware I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on telling all the vets in my area.

I am wishing my life away for my other bunnies to be ok. I love them, love them, love them, as I am sure everyone on this forum does.

I thought that too, then this happened! :shock:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422541-UD-Caught-the-wild-rabbit-(with-pics)

Sorry to hear about your rabbits :(

I will let the rwaf aware of an outbreak in north Yorkshire, they will send first alert messages out etc, hope you other bunnies will be ok x

Back