• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lana smells!?

Nic.

Warren Scout
Not sure what's going on but have noticed today that Lana smells like poo! I've checked her bum and it's all clean. The smell is definitely coming from there though. It's a weird diarrhoea kind of smell :( . She is acting normal and eating and drinking well though. did see one uneaten ceacotroph earlier but she ate it eventually. I've just taken them to my Nan's for the week with me so are in a different area then they're used to if that makes any difference. Is this something to worry about? I was worried about flies but there's no actual poop stuck to her just a horrible smell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it smell a bit like a sweet farmyard poo kind of smell ?

Yes it smells just like that.

have you checked her scent glands? :wave:

Not sure what to look for with scent glands. May have to Google that and get on it ha.

edit - have looked up cleaning scent glands and it looks like I definitely would not manage to do that! I could take her to the vet but is it ok to leave her to wait a bit until I'm back home?

Last edited:
Yes it smells just like that.

Not sure what to look for with scent glands. May have to Google that and get on it ha.

I'm no expert at all on this but I've read on here that that smell can be a sign of coccidiosis. I would get them both seen at the vets asap, I don't know personally if she needs to go tonight but definitely asap tomorrow. One of my goats had it and she smelt like that.

Here's a link to a sticky on it http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...sis-All-Rabbit-Owners-Should-be-Aware-of-This

Oh god that sounds horrible :( I've had a little look through the thread and I can't see her having any of the symptoms listed. I don't know if that smell could be an early sin or something though, she seems completely fine in herself. When I think about it, I did smell this briefly a few weeks ago. It was just a whiff and I didn't think anything of it. I'm going to look up some vets in this area if I have to take her tomorrow, might be tricky, annoying because I know nothing about the vets in this area :(

Sometimes when the microflora in their cecum is off balance and there's an overgrowth of bad bacteria, this can lead to cecotropes not being properly formed and thus get left uneaten because of the bad bacteria and smelling 'wrong' to the rabbit. It's often due to diet from either too many pellets or sugary starchy treats(though sometimes an intolerance to a certain food, veg, herb, forage, or a particular hay could be a cause), or sometimes it can be from not enough hay and fiber being consumed(eg. too many rich foods causing less hay consumption, dental problems leading to less hay being eaten, not liking a particular hay and not wanting to eat it, other health problems causing a decrease in appetite). Medications and stress(leading to bacterial overgrowth) can also be a cause, as well as parasites(coccidiosis)/pathogenic bacteria being another possibility, though usually you will see more severe symptoms accompany these, but not always.

I had it happen with one of my girl buns, and it was from her aging and her digestion becoming less tolerant of the amount of pellets I was feeding. I started noticing the strong smell and a bit of cecal staining left on her blanket. She was still eating hay well, so I knew it wasn't that. So I reduced the amount of her pellets which resolved the problem.

Sometimes when the microflora in their cecum is off balance and there's an overgrowth of bad bacteria, this can lead to cecotropes not being properly formed and thus get left uneaten because of the bad bacteria and smelling 'wrong' to the rabbit. It's often due to diet from either too many pellets or sugary starchy treats(though sometimes an intolerance to a certain food, veg, herb, forage, or a particular hay could be a cause), or sometimes it can be from not enough hay and fiber being consumed(eg. too many rich foods causing less hay consumption, dental problems leading to less hay being eaten, not liking a particular hay and not wanting to eat it, other health problems causing a decrease in appetite). Medications and stress(leading to bacterial overgrowth) can also be a cause, as well as parasites(coccidiosis)/pathogenic bacteria being another possibility, though usually you will see more severe symptoms accompany these, but not always.

I had it happen with one of my girl buns, and it was from her aging and her digestion becoming less tolerant of the amount of pellets I was feeding. I started noticing the strong smell and a bit of cecal staining left on her blanket. She was still eating hay well, so I knew it wasn't that. So I reduced the amount of her pellets which resolved the problem.

I have also noticed the cecal staining left on the floor with Lana. She's on medication t the moment so I'm starting to think it might be this. I'm going to get her some probiotics.

Thanks for all the info. I've found a vet incase I still need to take her today but I'm not going to do it first thing. When I went to bed, the smell was actually milder and she looks so healthy it's seems so unlikely it would be coccidiosis. She eats a lot of hay and her teeth are fine. Could perhaps cut her pellets down a little though so I will try that too. Thanks!

I have also noticed the cecal staining left on the floor with Lana. She's on medication t the moment so I'm starting to think it might be this. I'm going to get her some probiotics.

Thanks for all the info. I've found a vet incase I still need to take her today but I'm not going to do it first thing. When I went to bed, the smell was actually milder and she looks so healthy it's seems so unlikely it would be coccidiosis. She eats a lot of hay and her teeth are fine. Could perhaps cut her pellets down a little though so I will try that too. Thanks!

What medication is Lana on ?

It may be that there is some cecal dysbiosis due to the recent antibiotics. Stress from being in a strange environment may be exacerbating the problem. I would keep a very close eye on both input and output. Also keep a check on her weight- ie weigh her every 48 hours. Any change in input and/or output or any unexplained weightloss merits prompt Veterinary attention.

I would give her a 5 day course of Fibreplex

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

It may be that there is some cecal dysbiosis due to the recent antibiotics. Stress from being in a strange environment may be exacerbating the problem. I would keep a very close eye on both input and output. Also keep a check on her weight- ie weigh her every 48 hours. Any change in input and/or output or any unexplained weightloss merits prompt Veterinary attention.

I would give her a 5 day course of Fibreplex

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

Thanks for the info. She's been fine today, eating and drinking normally, same naughty self. I've noticed that she's been slower than usual to eat her soft poos though, leaving them for a bit and then going back to them later. The smell is actually way better than yesterday though. The room smelt bad yesterday but today I can only get a faint whiff if I actually go up and sniff her. I'm going to order the Fibreplex tomorrow. I've also bought some bottled water today and am giving that to her instead of the tap water, the water here is much much harder than our water at home so not sure if that would have any effect but she definitely prefers the bottle to tap water anyway. Thanks!

Back