• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie. with no bunny experience,

charbecca

New Kit
Hi, im Charlotte and have a Bunny called Rupert. I don't know what kind of rabbit he is, so ive come to ask a few questions to make owning him a pleasure for us both, sorry to be a pain

Rupert is around 4 months old. firstly I hope somebody can clear up what breed he is,

I purchased a lot of toys etc for Rupert but i've really no idea what it is he needs to be happy etc, so if anybody can help me with that, he has a hutch/run, tunnels, all kinds of treats, foods bedding etc. he is combed weekly and wiped etc, can he be washed? how often do I need to trim his nails, vets etc?

thank you for any help in advance

Charlotte&Rupert.
10271551_10152136790742965_2210078113174225174_n.jpg

Wow...what a lovely looking bunny :)

I'd say he's a lion head as he looks very similar to my poppy!

I think toys are trial and error really, poppy loves willow toys and devours them in not time and likes toys she can throw around but her ultimate favourite is a tea towel that she can push and pull around her pen! Ant on the other hand has no interest in any toys! The best thing to keep him happy and entertained it space, you and a friend once you've got him neutered!

It is very dangerous to bath a rabbit and he really won't enjoy it at all! As he's a fluffy bunny I'd personally recommend brushing him more often, I do both of mine most night so they don't build up any nots or tangles! It's also a really good bonding time, poppy grooms me back!

I don't think shavings are good for bunnies, they cause some problems and you'll also find it'll get stuck in his fluff, I'd maybe try something else?!

Hope you enjoy the forum and your beautiful bunny :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: Rupert is gorgeous :love: he looks like a lionhead or lionhead cross :thumb: it sounds like you have lots of great things for him :thumb: as far as things a rabbit needs to be happy, the main things that are often overlooked are space and company. The rwaf recommends a minimum hutch size of 6ftx2ftx2ft, with a permanently attached run or 8ftx4ft. Here is a link to their website http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm.

I would recommend you get him vaccinated, if he isn't already, which should be done annually, and if you have him neutered you can then get him a rabbit friend for company, if you go to a rescue they will often help bond your rabbit with a suitable spayed/neutered companion.

Shavings aren't recommended anymore as they can cause problems with rabbits breathing, due to the phenols in them. I would recommend you get some Lino to protect the floor of your hutch, and get a litter tray of some kind, you can use newspaper and hay in the tray, or I use wood pellet cat litter in mine with hay on top. Bunnies like to eat and poop in the same place so it is relatively easy to litter train them, especially once they have been neutered or spayed. Cleaning out my bunnies is much easier since I found RU and discovered all this :thumb: also with Rupert having all that fluff :love: you will find shavings will no doubt get stuck in his mane, so once you have got rid of them it makes grooming easier.

For feeding, bunnies should eat a pile of hay at least the size of themselves, and for pellets, you only need to give an egg cupful per day once they are fully grown. If you are feeding a lot of pellets they fill up on those and don't eat enough hay, which can cause dental problems. You can gradually reduce pellets until he is getting an eggcupful a day.

Rabbits don't need to be washed, they need regular (at least once per day) bottom checks to ensure they are clean to prevent fly strike.

Oops, I seem to have written you an essay, sorry :oops: there's loads I'll have missed so I'm sure someone else will fill in :thumb: any more questions ask away :thumb:

Hi and welcome! he looks like a lionhead angora cross as he seems much more fluffier than my lionhead. I agree with what Countrybumkin has said. Each bun enjoys different toys, and may even stop playing with their toys over time. Willow balls and raffia tubes/toys often go down well, as do flowerpots and balls that can be picked up & tossed.

As for nails, 3 of mine never need their nails trimming whearas Bugsy's grow quickly and need doing regularly. A bunny should never be bathed and only bum bits need to be washed if there is a serious problem with poop sticking (to prevent flystrike) but a good diet of mainly hay and a very small amount of high quality pellet food should ensure he has healthy poops. vegatables should be introduced in very small amounts until you are certain they do not upset his stomach.

ahhhh no I don't use the shavings now, that photo was taken the day I got him. I use straw now, and fluffy bedding.:)
I also don't wash him, I just use the wipes you get from pet stores and wipe under his belly and bottom. I will brush him more regular though hes not knotty.
as for food I was filling his bowl up with a mix of muesli food and pellets. do I need to reduce this massively? he was hav:lol:ing a hand full of hay too, and is eating it all though? maybe why hes so fat. hates vegetables only eats apples.

I recommend changing over very gradually over to pellet food, muesli can lead to selective feeding. Also gradually reduce the amount of muesli/pellets you give, until he's having an eggcup full per day, as drastic changes can cause problems. I would start giving much more hay straightaway. My bunnies prefer dandelion leaves, herbs such as rosemary, and hawthorn to vegetables.

Also apples (any other bunny safe fruits) are high in sugar so should really be fed in very small quantities if at all.

he was having a hand full of hay too, and is eating it all though? .

He would need probably a handfull or two of hay every few hours. Bunnies are strange creatures in that they poop where they eat ..i.e. on the hay, and even if there is hay left over, they will go absolutely mad as soon as you put another handful or two in. After a while you'll get to tell when to put more hay in, or just do it 3-4 times a day with extra at night (when they are most active and most likely to be munching)

Back