• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay4Pets Questions...

Alibunbun

Warren Scout
Just a few quick Q's :wave:

1) When you order the sample hays, how much of each do you get, on average?
2) What is the quality of their hays like?
3) Are there any other places, aside form TimothyHay.co.uk that offer good quality hay?

I want to encourage as much hay eating as possible with the new bun when I get home (I fly back in 2 weeks!) :thumb:

Last edited:
I get Oat, Wheat & Barley hay from The hay Experts, which my buns thoroughly enjoy..though expensive at about £40 (not inc. £4.99 courier charge) I feel it is value for money.
I also get timothy & rye Hay from Hay4Pets (largest size) as my buns have always loved it . I tried ings once, and none of my buns or piggies would eat it, so back to timothy & rye for us.

1) long time ago since I got samples of hay, but they were in small paper bags.
2) The quality has always been excellent everytime, and they have always been very helpful.
3) The only other place I get hay from online is The Hay experts-just for the oat, Wheat & Barley hay (and fenugreek crunchies which are half the price than in my local shops)

I get Oat, Wheat & Barley hay from The hay Experts, which my buns thoroughly enjoy..though expensive at about £40 (not inc. £4.99 courier charge) I feel it is value for money.
I also get timothy & rye Hay from Hay4Pets (largest size) as my buns have always loved it . I tried ings once, and none of my buns or piggies would eat it, so back to timothy & rye for us.

1) long time ago since I got samples of hay, but they were in small paper bags.
2) The quality has always been excellent everytime, and they have always been very helpful.
3) The only other place I get hay from online is The Hay experts-just for the oat, Wheat & Barley hay (and fenugreek crunchies which are half the price than in my local shops)

Really helpful thank you :thumb:

I did a huge hay taste test with my bunnies, who were at the time on farm baled hay and perfectly happy.

Timothyhay.co.uk sent a free sample and my buns were totally unimpressed but I know other bunnies love it

I got the sample pack from hay for pets and they liked Timothy and rye and also the Ings but not excited about meadow. It was a large handful of each hay so the three would feed one bunny for about a day but not if it was going in litter trays.

They're crazy about western oxbow Timothy hay which is about £10/kg

And they've just got a huge box of parsnipbun's hay which is best hay ever excluding the oxbow stuff.

So they're currently mixing a farm bale, Timothy/rye, parsnipbun's hay and the oxbow which I think gives them a bit of variety.

So I'd maybe try as many as you can and see which the bunnies prefer

Also I get the oxbow from chinchillas2shop or vetuk and dustfreehay.co.uk is another be I've heard good things about but not used

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the Oat, Wheat and Barley hay is £40 for 11.34Kg (the largest size) but they do smaller pack sizes. so if you add on courier charge of £4.99 it works out about £4/Kg which is't bad.

I'd say the sample was a handful of each - enough for a snack but for me it wasn't enough to tell if they really liked it. I just took the plunge and got a bag of each, as it's much better value for money that way. I figured even if they hadn't liked them I could use them for bedding and litter trays, as the large bags are cheaper per kg than pet shop hays (£1.68 per kg). They would eat all of them but much preferred the Timothy and Rye.

I use Timothyhay.co.uk and that goes down a little better than the Timothy and Rye, which is great.

For treat hays I get the excel hays - they don't eat as much of these as the hays above, but enjoy foraging through them looking for the bits - and Burns Green Oat hay, which they love. They also get readigrass, which they rush over for.

This is really helpful thanks guys :wave: I think I will try hay4pets' Timothy and Rye to start with and have a few treat hays, see what he/she likes. It sounds really personal to the bunny, which makes it more difficult but at least I've got some places to source good quality hay :thumb:

Back