• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many times a day do you give your buns fresh hay?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I am probably a little OTT with this. Litter trays are cleaned out and filled with fresh hay every morning. Then they also have a pile of fresh hay somewhere else, so some is always clean. They get another big handful at lunchtime, at teatime and at bedtime. There is no way in the world that I could just give them hay once a day or wait until they had eaten it all before giving them fresh.

I think with having tummy bunnies it is so important to keep them munching hay, to keep everything ticking over nicely.

I'm starting to wonder if I don't give them enough now :shock: Your bunnies must be very happy :D Mine get a changed litter tray once a day, I then put a fresh pile of hay in sometime in the afternoon if I'm around, it's normally a different type to give them some variety. If it looks a little sparse at night then I'll give them some more, if not they just wait till morning.

I put some in in the morning a big handful. And then some at night, I probably don't need to put it in twice but I do because when I put it in they immedietly run over and start munching, I think they must just enjoy the fresh hay on an evening. :D

Mine have enclosures full of hay which is cleaned out daily. They also get extra fresh piles added 3 times a day :) Nothing like seeing a frenzy on Bunnies tucking into a mountain of fresh hay :love: Even if it does mean I sneeze a billion times a day :roll: :lol:

I change the litter tray daily and top it up with hay twice. Molly also has a basket with a different sort of hay in it, at the mo it's western Timothy hay, she never wees or poos on this so it is always clean. I top this up as needed.

probably about the same. bisc is a teeth and tummy bun, so i add hay as much as possible to re-interest him.

the piggies are always begging for more. they have a hay area with soft hay that i only change once a day, then they have two kitchen roll tubes of stalkier hay and i bet i fill these every hour/couple of hours! :shock: they eat soooo much. :thumb:

the more hay the better. :thumb:

eta: bisc also has hay in his carrier and in a willow round feeder (from the willow warren, it's brilliant), just to keep hay in as many places as possible to tempt him.

It doesn't matter how fresh the hay is, bunnies will always go mad when they see you putting more fresh hay in! I tend to put some in the morning ( which they don't eat much as they tend to go in & out to graze on the grass) then they have a large pile put in at night to see them through the night when they are most active. Poppy & Jenson get through their hay pile by morning, wheras Bugsy & Violet still had a load left. I also try to rotate different hay so they have a variety.

Twice a day for their main hay (morning and when I get home from work), then they get a basket of special hay (timothy, ings or whatever else I have in) at bedtime, so fresh hay 3 times a day.

I change the litter trays every morning and then top them up in the evening, so they get a fresh batch twice a day.

Their poops are a lovely size and consistency so they're definitely eating plenty of it and often try to tuck into the dirty litter tray if I haven't got round to cleaning it out when they come out for free range time so it's not necessarily that mine prefer 'fresh' hay, just different hay to what's already available iyswim.... :roll::lol:

I used to feed Bubbles more often but that's because she had dental problems & would only eat grass so it needed to be fresher.

I'm starting to wonder if I don't give them enough now :shock: Your bunnies must be very happy :D Mine get a changed litter tray once a day, I then put a fresh pile of hay in sometime in the afternoon if I'm around, it's normally a different type to give them some variety. If it looks a little sparse at night then I'll give them some more, if not they just wait till morning.

They can never have too much fresh hay!

Morning, after work in the evening and before bedtime. I often put the bag down though for her to eat out of it as she loves it and I want her eating as much as possible.

When she was staying at the vets they said she was fussy and messy and just waited for fresh hay, so instead of giving her lots at a time they would keep giving her a handful regularly as she kept looking out of her hutch for them for some more! Even though she had lots of the hay left. Think she was well spoilt there!

A lot :lol: Up to six times a day probably. They're in my room and if I don't give them it, they break in to the bags anyway :lol:

I completely clean out all trays in the morning before work (megazorb with think layer of hay on top).

Most of mine won't use hayracks, so I put an extra pile in the corner of the tray and stuff handfuls of hay elsewhere in their accommodation.

Grubby bunnies get another tray clean in the evening, those who are tidier or who have more than one hay tray get a hay top up.

I'm off to look at the 'willow round feeder' that BiscandMatt1 mentioned. Might be good for my bunnies who refuse to use hayracks.

I completely clean out all trays in the morning before work (megazorb with think layer of hay on top).

Most of mine won't use hayracks, so I put an extra pile in the corner of the tray and stuff handfuls of hay elsewhere in their accommodation.

Grubby bunnies get another tray clean in the evening, those who are tidier or who have more than one hay tray get a hay top up.

I'm off to look at the 'willow round feeder' that BiscandMatt1 mentioned. Might be good for my bunnies who refuse to use hayracks.

i bought it years back and it's still going strong. it's made of tough willow and bisc loves eating from it. he was never keen on normal hayracks. :wave:

Mine have enclosures full of hay which is cleaned out daily. They also get extra fresh piles added 3 times a day :) Nothing like seeing a frenzy on Bunnies tucking into a mountain of fresh hay :love: Even if it does mean I sneeze a billion times a day :roll: :lol:

You must get through so much hay Jane! Where do you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

Morning after I have cleaned litter trays out and then in the evening. Munch especially loves the seed head bits. I hide some of their pellets in it too so they have a good root around.

I think I'm a bad bunny Mummy then!!!

Neo gets his litter tray changed every other day/ 2 days... I feel gross now!!!

We stir the paper pellets around every day though and he gets new hay which goes on top of the litter anyway.

Is this bad? :(

For the indoor rabbits - litter trays (32L storage boxes) cleaned out in the morning, fresh hay 2-3 times through the day and a big pile in the evening :)

For the outdoor rabbits - fresh hay in the morning, litter trays (64L and 32L storage boxes) cleaned out between 10am-2pm depending on work etc, fresh hay in the late afternoon and big pile in the evening :)

Last edited:
Back