• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits head sways

Hi all I'm new here this is my first post I hope I'm doing this right. I'm after some advice about a new rabbit I've taken in. She's a young mini lop, not sure on age but she's small compared to my Netherland dwarf cross. She seems fine in herself, is taking great pleasure in running free in the house & seems happy with the amount of binkies she's doing but when she sits still her head sways slightly from side to side. She doesn't do it constantly but it is noticeable & I've noticed that even though her eyes are dark they have a red tinge to them. My question is do you think she could have slight vision problems or does it sound more sinister...? Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Dawn.

Hi Dawn welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm not too sure myself what is up with your bunny, if it's a head tilt (as in dropping on one side) I'd say inner ear infection possibly. But I think what you're describing is called 'scanning'... I'd be inclined to go and get her checked out by a rabbit savvy vet - maybe it could be something to do with her teeth? I don't think the eyes would be any trouble if you're talking about the colour of the iris, but if it's the skin around the eye that looks sore there could be something up.

Be sure to add pictures of your buns in the pictures and stories section :love: Love seeing new buns and I hope you get some help from someone who may know a bit more xx :wave:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sounds a lot like scanning to me - it happens when their balance is off, I've heard it's a similar experience to when humans get vertigo. It's great that she still looks well in herself as that means you can catch whatever it is early. It's probably likely to be an ear infection or EC though I know there are other rarer causes.

Definitely sounds like a vet trip is in order.

Personally I wouldn't rush to worry about scanning unless it's accompanied by other symptoms. Some rabbits tend to do it, particularly those with red eyes in their genes somewhere. You say she's very healthy in all other respects? :wave:

Here's a short article on why rabbits scan .. http://old.sandiegorabbits.org/health/eye_scanning.html

If she's not had her vaccinations yet you could ask the vet when you go along?

I'm not sure about rabbits but I know that red eyed rats do it to help them locate things (as best they can as rats have VERY poor eye sight) so it could be possible if she has those genes

Back