• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two female after trauma

sophb1992

New Kit
Hi, i have to female rabbits who I had to separate due to one biting the other whilst at a rabbit boarding whilst I was on holiday. I think it happened because the border has two male rabbits in a separate enclosure and they could smell them. I was planning to get them spayed anyway to reduce cancer risk but have now done it to stop their hormones. does anyone have any advice on how to bond them. they are now both spayed and are outdoor rabbits. one has been spayed for 4 weeks and the other 3 weeks should I wait longer or not. I have been putting each others poo in their hutch. let them smell and see each other. what should I do next. Thank You if you can help.

it usually takes about a month for hormones to calm down, maybe you could put them where they can see each other, and then take it from there, neutral territory is always best though as it provides distractions

I'd leave it for 4-6 weeks before attempting to re-bond them. Completely neutral territory is a must - something like the floor of the bathroom etc. Then sit with them on the floor and observe. Some chasing and humping is normal and should be allowed but full-on fighting should be stopped. The theory is that once you've put them together, it's best not to separate again. Once they've had a good 24 hours with no fighting and chasing, you can very gradually start to increase the space. Too much space too quickly will often cause fighting so slow and steady is the key. Good luck and come back if you need help. There are lots of experienced bonders on RU who should be able to offer some advice if you get stuck.

Back