• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing the will to live...

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
With growing Timothy grass.

Oh lordy it is SO damn hard :(

1st attempt: Overwatering caused fungal growth
2nd attempt: Overwatering caused fungal growth even with limited watering
3rd attempt: Using spray bottle to water with more limited watering, however patchy growth with approximately 1/3 not growing

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

Getting wound up, I really want Neo to have a tray in his pen for 5 mins a day but want the tray to be covered in grass, not patchy.
It's currently on the windowsill and gets direct sun for perhaps 2 hours a day and general light the rest. Watered once to twice a day with a sprayer, just enough to darken the soil. If it's looking very dry I will water a second time before bed.

Can anyone help before I throw it outside?! Why is is SO easy for it to grow on it's own outside... Maybe the Timothy is more picky on conditions.

Have emailed the supplier to see if they have any idea, for now he's getting chopped blades from the trays but I want him to graze himself :(

I have no idea about growing grass, I can't keep a cactus alive :( but are other types of grass easier to grow - like normal garden or wheatgrass? :) could always give one of those a go if they're easier!
I was thinking of growing some now it's warmer but maybe I'll just dig up some garden instead!

Do you have a pic? How high are the plants that have germinated? Maybe the others are just being a bit slow.

I have no idea about growing grass, I can't keep a cactus alive :( but are other types of grass easier to grow - like normal garden or wheatgrass? :) could always give one of those a go if they're easier!
I was thinking of growing some now it's warmer but maybe I'll just dig up some garden instead!

Possibly? I'm not sure, only went Timothy as I think I heard somewhere that it's the best grass to give frequently and as I wanted him to have access for a bit everyday, but that may just be rubbish! I think some people buy normal turf roles and use those, but I didn't trust it to be free of chemical :)

Do you have a pic? How high are the plants that have germinated? Maybe the others are just being a bit slow.

I have hacked at all of the grass now, so a pic wouldn't help much and I can't do it from my phone anyway :( however the blades of grass varied from between 0.5-1.5 inches which wasn't bad but maybe some of the seeds just weren't good seeds? But seems strange that it's patches of seeds that don't grow, not the odd little bit, I'm talking mug ring sized patches/gaps!

Possibly? I'm not sure, only went Timothy as I think I heard somewhere that it's the best grass to give frequently and as I wanted him to have access for a bit everyday, but that may just be rubbish! I think some people buy normal turf roles and use those, but I didn't trust it to be free of chemical :)

I have hacked at all of the grass now, so a pic wouldn't help much and I can't do it from my phone anyway :( however the blades of grass varied from between 0.5-1.5 inches which wasn't bad but maybe some of the seeds just weren't good seeds? But seems strange that it's patches of seeds that don't grow, not the odd little bit, I'm talking mug ring sized patches/gaps!

Sounds like they'd grown a bit so doubtful they'll come up now. Are you certain you didn't have any gaps when sowing?

Sounds like they'd grown a bit so doubtful they'll come up now. Are you certain you didn't have any gaps when sowing?

100% I almost did a complete layer.

I'm now thinking the soil I'm using maybe had too many little stones in that could have stopped the seeds from sprouting.

I'm going to buy some more trays from Sainsburys as they have them cheap there, and try again tonorrow.

The only other problem is that some of the glades look like they're dying, I have no idea why but I think I will water them overnight rather than in the day, as people say that when the sun is on them when they're wet, it can kill them?

Who knew grass was a pain?!

100% I almost did a complete layer.

I'm now thinking the soil I'm using maybe had too many little stones in that could have stopped the seeds from sprouting.

I'm going to buy some more trays from Sainsburys as they have them cheap there, and try again tonorrow.

The only other problem is that some of the glades look like they're dying, I have no idea why but I think I will water them overnight rather than in the day, as people say that when the sun is on them when they're wet, it can kill them?

Who knew grass was a pain?!

It can yes, it can burn the leaves. You could just sow more seed in the gaps. You probably don't really need to water every day, just when they get dry. After all, outside they only get water every now and then when it rains. You can test whether they need watering by sticking your finger in the compost or lift them up, if it feels lighter than usual it needs water.

I tried growing Timothy hay grass in pots in a sunny window but it didn't do too well. I finally put the same pots out on the patio and the grass all filled in and was very thick and healthy. I left them on the patio and only brought them in for Julie to eat then back out or I would cut the grass for her.

If you've got outside space, this time of year it will grow better out there. If the soil is getting mouldy it's probably a mix of too warm and too damp.

Watering wise, you'd be better having a saucer/tray and watering from the bottom, give it 10 minutes to suck all the water up it wants then empty the rest out and don't water again until the soil feels dry (stick a finger it don't just look at the surface). Outsides even easier, just throw some water at it if it's not rained in a few days and looks dry.

I bought some loose lawn grass seeds from Wilkies last year and planted them up in plastic cups and they came up lovely.

I punched some holes in the bottom for drainage and watered them on a tray, tipping off any excess water after about half an hour.

Once the first growth had been snipped, it grew back thicker. I just kept snipping it short every week or so. Mine loved it :D

Back