• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet training new rabbit from Rescue centre

riftzone

Young Bun
Hi,

I have a couple of rabbits that have been just been bonded, my orginal rabbit Merlin is litter trained but his wife-bun is using the turfed lawn area of the house as a litter tray, does anyone have any idea's on how to get her trained to use one area or the litter area that Merlin uses ?

It might be worth putting a litter tray in the turfed area that she is using, and if you regularly sweep up poos and put them in the litter tray/trays then hopefully she will use that :thumb: I've had more success putting trays where they poo than trying to get them to poo where I want them to. Another point is they usually eat and poo/wee at the same time so I always put their hay in the same place as the trays :thumb:

Yep, I agree, try putting a tray where she is going. Once she's swapped from scattering to the tray, you can then try gradually moving it along until it's in the right place.

New bunnies often scatter/go all over whilst they are settling in too it just helps spread their scent so they feel it's home. It usually gets better within a few weeks so part of the problem might be she's still settling :)

When litter training mine I was advised to fill the litter box with hay, it worked pretty much instantly as yes they do like to nibble hay at the same time!

Back