• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, Marbles is eating my bedsheets!

katie88

Mama Doe
Marbles has been living in my room since she became poorly a few months ago. She is currently doing really well but I don't want to put her back outside for several reasons - I'm worried her infection will flare up again, she seems to do much better inside and, to be honest, I love it!

She has a dog crate as a base but has free range access to my room 24 hours a day, and she can jump up and down on my bed. I tried to discourage this in the beginning but she carried on doing it so I don't think there's much I can do to stop that. However I've come home from work today and she has bitten holes all over my bed sheet :? It is absolutely torn to shreds. This was a really expensive bed sheet and needless to say, I'm annoyed!

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can stop her doing that or alternatively, stop her going on the bed altogether? I don't want to stop her 24hr free range because I'm at work all day and am often very busy in the evenings so supervised free range time would be too limited. She can't go in any other room because I'm living with my parents at the moment
She has plenty of toys but I do wonder if she might get bored during the day but I don't know what else I can do about that.

Help! If I can't find a way to stop her she will have to go back outside but I really don't want that :cry:

sorry i dont have any advice but i just wanted to say..
Bella done this to my duvet and the sheet on that a while ago and it drove me nuts, she isn't interested in my sheets so i just simply hide the duvet when shes in my room :lol:
i actually bought a new duvet today because my old one had holes in it thanks to someone:lol:

maybe put your bed on stilts so she cant reach it:lol:;)
good luck!

sorry i dont have any advice but i just wanted to say..
Bella done this to my duvet and the sheet on that a while ago and it drove me nuts, she isn't interested in my sheets so i just simply hide the duvet when shes in my room :lol:
i actually bought a new duvet today because my old one had holes in it thanks to someone:lol:

maybe put your bed on stilts so she cant reach it:lol:;)
good luck!

Thank you for replying! God they're so infuriating sometimes aren't they?! :lol: She's not shown any interest in my sheets before now but she's gone to town on them today, holes everywhere!

You cant even be mad at them, one time binky bit a whole in my favorite jumper and then she looked at me so innocently I couldnt be mad :lol:
How people can get mad at them and hurt them I dont know!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'd suggest buying a puppy pen just to put around the bed, the one I have is 90cm tall, about 3ft but wouldn't fit around a double, so you'd need two.

Other suggestions maybe one of those foil blankets over the bed and the noise may put her off? All I can suggest is maybe when you're out, put a puppy pen up and she could chill in there otherwise you're going to hey annoyed and if she's eating it, she may get sick!

They are little nightmares!!
Fergie likes to eat or wee on my bed and pillows so I bought a really cheap duvet cover/bed sheet and put it over the top of my nice one - stops holes and most accidents!
There is no way of telling him that the bed is not his and to get down unfortunately - it's definitely his and he likes sleeping on it.
A second duvet might work for you too! Or she might just eat both... :)

I'd suggest buying a puppy pen just to put around the bed, the one I have is 90cm tall, about 3ft but wouldn't fit around a double, so you'd need two.

Other suggestions maybe one of those foil blankets over the bed and the noise may put her off? All I can suggest is maybe when you're out, put a puppy pen up and she could chill in there otherwise you're going to hey annoyed and if she's eating it, she may get sick!

I agree with the puppy pen idea. Rabbits are born to chew and dig.

I had some run panels that I put against the bed but she just jumps straight over them. The spare area around my bed is in an Lshape, I.e. she has floor space on one side of my bed and at the end of it. The back of my bed and the other side are against a wall. So I can't think of any way of blocking off the bed without effectively getting rid of all of the floor space she has.

A foil blanket might be worth a try though. Thank you!

They are little nightmares!!
Fergie likes to eat or wee on my bed and pillows so I bought a really cheap duvet cover/bed sheet and put it over the top of my nice one - stops holes and most accidents!
There is no way of telling him that the bed is not his and to get down unfortunately - it's definitely his and he likes sleeping on it.
A second duvet might work for you too! Or she might just eat both... :)

That's a good idea! Strangely marbles isn't interested in the duvet. It's the sheet that goes over the mattress, which she's getting to at the top of the bed where the pillows are. She has bitten all the way through the sheet and ripped the mattress protector that is underneath. A spare duvet to cover the top half during the day might be a good idea.

I have a superkingsize bed which is huge and it's hard to get sheets for it so they cost a small fortune. I think the two I have were £70 each and each of my duvet sets were over £100 :shock:

I had some run panels that I put against the bed but she just jumps straight over them. The spare area around my bed is in an Lshape, I.e. she has floor space on one side of my bed and at the end of it. The back of my bed and the other side are against a wall. So I can't think of any way of blocking off the bed without effectively getting rid of all of the floor space she has.

A foil blanket might be worth a try though. Thank you!

Hmm, would there be anywhere you could move the bed to? Some rooms can work with the bed in different places, would you be able to attempt?

Pictures would help so I can picture the space more lol!

It might be completely a bad idea and I'd only use it if I'd be sure she wouldn't eat it as I'm sure it can't be great if she did. Other option could maybe be a sheet of perspex on the bed or a bit if vinyl that was big enough you could tuck under the mattress?
The only downside to taking the duvet off is that she might eat your mattress and that's more expensive to replace!

That's a good idea! Strangely marbles isn't interested in the duvet. It's the sheet that goes over the mattress, which she's getting to at the top of the bed where the pillows are. She has bitten all the way through the sheet and ripped the mattress protector that is underneath. A spare duvet to cover the top half during the day might be a good idea.

I have a superkingsize bed which is huge and it's hard to get sheets for it so they cost a small fortune. I think the two I have were £70 each and each of my duvet sets were over £100 :shock:

Ouch! Deffo don't want those ruining! Mine were only cheap ones anyway but it's irritating getting new ones all the time :(
When I first got him I used a waterproof blanket on top of my bed and he didn't chew that either - rabbits just love ruining nice things haha :) I've given up on having nice things or a tidy bedroom, it's a good job they're cute!

This is a picture of my room. Sorry it's terrible quality, I tried to get as much in as I could but basically I was standing at the head of the bed - the bed backs onto a wall immediately behind me (when I was taking the picture!) and also to the right. So the only floor space is that on the left, which is probably about 3 foot by 10 foot, and the space at the end of the bed which is mainly taken up by the crate but with a free area of maybe 4x3.

My bed is huge and can't go anywhere else because on the left is a whole wall of built in wardrobes. Obviously none of this was planned with having a rabbit in the room in mind, because I never intended to have her inside and I also never planned on moving back in with my parents! So trying to do the best I can but it's tricky.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone please keep them coming!

You could use a playpen, have it around the perimeter of the bed, as more of a fence/barrier?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

You could also possibly get some of those toddler bed guards? (Not sure how they work lol) but she wouldn't be able to jump over those if they were put on the bed whole you're out.

You could use a playpen, have it around the perimeter of the bed, as more of a fence/barrier?

That was what I did before, but she just jumped right over them in about two minutes :roll: not sure if the toddler guardsare any higher, I'll have a google, thank you!

That was what I did before, but she just jumped right over them in about two minutes :roll: not sure if the toddler guardsare any higher, I'll have a google, thank you!

The toddler guards should be higher, as the go from the top of the bed up, so they're higher than the mattress.
What kind of bed base is it?

The toddler guards should be higher, as the go from the top of the bed up, so they're higher than the mattress.
What kind of bed base is it?

That's interesting and could be a possibility. It's a divan base. It's very big, very expensive and really not designed with a free ranging bedroom rabbit in mind :lol:

Do you know, when you said toddler guard I thought you meant those toddler gates that you put on the stairs. I had no idea these things even existed! I think that could actually be the perfect solution - thank you! My bed is 2m long by 180cm wide so I'd probably need four of them. Will have to start hunting for some cheap ones. Thank you for your suggestion :)

Last edited:
Do you know, when you said toddler guard I thought you meant those toddler gates that you put on the stairs. I had no idea these things even existed! I think that could actually be the perfect solution - thank you! My bed is 2m long by 180cm wide so I'd probably need for of them. Will have to start hunting for some cheap ones. Thank you for your suggestion :)

I don't even know why I though about it, guess it was trying to make the mattress to high for her :lol:
Its worth it to save her ruining your expensive bedding, or even the mattress. & if you move, you can use them on other furniture :)
You're welcome :) hope you find some & that they work :)

Back