• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carrots- How Many?

SJ_R

Mama Doe
Hi! :wave: So, today in Lidl's I noticed a bunch of packaged carrots with long green tops, so I bought them for Amy (I wouldn't have bought them if they didn't have the tops; I've given her like two or three carrots in the past couple of months). There were eleven carrots, I gave her one earlier (she loved it!), but question is, how do I space the remaining ten? I don't want to give her too many of course, but neither do I want to waste them. We can cut the tops off and use some of the carrots ourselves, of course. They range in size, from the width of my finger to a couple inches thick. She's on pellets, hay and mixed greens normally. I know carrots are a bit of a debate filled topic with rabbit people, and I want to be a responsible owner.

I seldom feed carrots at all. If I do it is a tiny piece, once or twice a week as a special treat. I never consider carrots to be a 'normal' part of my Rabbit's diet :)

When I get the carrots with the tops I feed the tops to my bunnies every day, but the carrot I only give a small amount every few days as a treat. I generally eat the actual carrot myself :)

When I get the carrots with the tops I feed the tops to my bunnies every day, but the carrot I only give a small amount every few days as a treat. I generally eat the actual carrot myself :)

This is exactly what I do too. Carrot and coriander soup perhaps?!

Thank you for the replies. I just had the thought that once the kitchen is finished being remodelled, I could make some carrot cake.

I think I'll watch her poos for a while, give her another, a small one, in a few days and exercise caution from then on.

The way I think of carrots is of the equivalent of a small cake to a person, to a rabbit. You shouldn't eat cake every day, probably not even every week, but so long as you're healthy, a treat once in a while does us all some good :)

As carrots aren't good for teeth or digestive system, I very rarely give them. Perhaps a tiny piece each very occasionally. My rabbits love the tops.

Many don't agree, but my rabbits have carrots every day. The 3 bunnies get two between them, and the 2 bunnies get one between them. Guinea pigs share one between 6. :wave:

Carrots have actually been saving me. I am the mom to a brand new rescue who came to us 2 days ago. The only way I can get him to relax and not try to bite me while I clean up his area is to give him a carrot to much on. It works the same way as a bone or Kong would to keep a dog busy. That being said, is 1-2 small carrots BAD for them each day? The carrots are baby carrots or the ones with tops (carrot itself is about 4 inches long.)
Thanks!

Carrots have actually been saving me. I am the mom to a brand new rescue who came to us 2 days ago. The only way I can get him to relax and not try to bite me while I clean up his area is to give him a carrot to much on. It works the same way as a bone or Kong would to keep a dog busy. That being said, is 1-2 small carrots BAD for them each day? The carrots are baby carrots or the ones with tops (carrot itself is about 4 inches long.)
Thanks!

How about hiding a few bits of carrot (or something else he likes) in lots of hay so he has to dig about for it or using a treat ball with a few bits in. Should keep him occupied for a awhile but with less carrot!

Thank you for the replies. I just had the thought that once the kitchen is finished being remodelled, I could make some carrot cake.

I think I'll watch her poos for a while, give her another, a small one, in a few days and exercise caution from then on.

The way I think of carrots is of the equivalent of a small cake to a person, to a rabbit. You shouldn't eat cake every day, probably not even every week, but so long as you're healthy, a treat once in a while does us all some good :)

The trouble is a rabbit's digestive system is so easily upset, unlike us humans.

My personal belief is that the carrot tops, i.e. the leafy green bits, are just veg so mine generally get the lot in one go; however, it of course depends how much there is - sometimes I have split it over 2 or rarely 3 days; I just give them enough to equal their daily green allowance and obviously the actual top of the carrot is still attached but it's very small as I cut the carrot off. When I get bunches of carrots with their leaves it's generally going to be binned by my local greengrocer so the carrots aren't really for us hoomins. The buns get one or two to save the lot going in the bin, but they absolutely love the leaves!

My rabbits eat primarily, Grass and Hay. I do give Carrots (usually just a piece though) regularly to no ill-effect :)

Back