• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help rabbit bonding!

~Chey~

Young Bun
I have recently adopted a female rabbit who will be going in former neuter in the next couple of weeks (I want her to get used tome before going in for it) who I want to bound with my male rabbit Peter- any tips or pointers with bonding them would be greatly received! (First time bonding rabbits however have had gunieas much more research needs to be put in before starting)
My main worry is because I plan to start making an outside extended house and enlarge my run that's already there- if bonded and houses inside first would they fight after moving outside?

The main thing to think about is when you introduce your 2 rabbits you put them somewhere where neither has been before. This prevents them acting territorially and therefore attacking the other rabbit. You will need to wait a few weeks after her neuter before you introduce them. I am assuming Peter is neutered? As the territory is Peter's, it should make a bond slightly easier as the males are not as territorial as the females. Hope it all goes well. Please let us know.

Yes Peter is neutered :) do I just introduce them for small amounts of time on neutral territory until I feel safe to leave them for longer or introduce on peters 'land'?
Yes I'll keep you updated and introduce you to penny when I get some images :):love:

The best way to bond them is to introduce them on neutral territory and keep them together. Choose a day when you can keep an eye on them. This way they can sort out their hierarchy and start getting to know one another. It should take about 3 days, some bond sooner and some need a bit longer.

If you do short dates the bunnies never get a proper chance to sort themselves out and you still have to take the plunge and keep them together so you are wasting time really and possibly confusing/frustrating them.

If you are unable to watch them the first night you can separate them and start again the following morning. The male should chase the female for a couple of days until things settle down, There might be nipping and fur pulling but this is all normal. It's only in cases of severe fighting you need to separate them. A lot of people use a puppy pen in which to bond them or you can do it in a hutch which doesn't smell of either of them.

By what time do I start putting the bunnies into peters 'home' and into his current space.. Not sure how long to keep them in the neutral area for and when's best to try moving forward.

Also is it 100% necessary for me to only try bonding once penny has been neutered? She is the most scared I have ever seen a rabbit and I feel really bad her being alone.. Peter came home and pestered me for treats from day one :lol:

Unneutered female and neutered male bonding wouldn't work out well would it? Slightly stressing about penny's neuter while she is so scared :( poor little thing :(

Unneutered female and neutered male bonding wouldn't work out well would it? Slightly stressing about penny's neuter while she is so scared :( poor little thing :(

You definitely need to get her neutered. I adopted Heidi as a very scared, nervous aggressive rabbit but she changed overnight after her spay and soon became more friendly.

Luckily she's not aggressive in the slightest (as of yet) just petrified :( glad she's found a home with us!

Back