• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit seems lonely after death of companion! What now?

Katwood01

New Kit
Hi
I'm Kat
I'm after some advice and I hope you might be able to help
I have a 2 year old female dwarf lop- Roxy
I've kept her for the last two years with a make guinea pig
Without any problems!
Sadly our guinea pig died last week and Roxy seems sad
without him :(
I'm at a loss as to what to do
Do I get another guinea pig to keep her company?
Or move her inside ( she lives in the shed during the winter)
Another rabbit?
We've been giving her lots of extra fuss but she's not a
happy bunny!
Help!
Thanks
Kat

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you lost your guinea pig.
If Roxy seems sad then she may be missing the companionship of her friend. I think the general view is that rabbits are best with another rabbit, there are lots available in rescue centres, they'll be neutered and most probably vaccinated, and ready to bond with your rabbit, providing your bun is neutered too.
Try to spend as much time as you can with her, but remember if you bring her in to live with you, you can't put her back outside again until the weather warms up a fair bit.
Good luck x

I would say have her neutered if she isnt already (the last thing she wants is to be hormonal on top of losing her friend) and find her a nice rescue bunny friend. You can pretty much find every colour and type of bunny in rescues at the moment, so plenty of choice.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your guinea pig.:(

Good advice has already been given.

A friend for Roxy if she is neutered or neuter her and once she has recovered from her op, find her a bunny friends. If Roxy needs to be neutered, first find a bunny savvy vet and have a discussion with them beforehand so you know what to expect.

There are thousands of bunnies waiting in rescues up and down the country. Many will re-home nationwide and almost all bunnies are vaccinated and neutered too. Only in very rare and special cases they are not.

Best of luck for Roxy in the future. :thumb:

Almost forgot................welcome to RU. You'll find loads of helpful advice and support on here.

sorry for your loss. :(

it's not recommended to keep rabbits and guinea pigs together so i would go for another rabbit. get her spayed if she's not already (make sure the vet is rabbit/exotics) and then you can find her a friend from a rescue. :love: some will even help with the bonding aswell. :wave:

Thank you

Hi
Thank you all for your advice
I've emailed some rescue centres today and
we are hoping to adopt a neutered male
:) xx

Hi

Great! :thumb: Sometimes I find it's better to call rescues as they are often too busy to reply to emails and they can get lost :(

Hi

Sorry for your loss

But That's great welcome to the forum

Is she neutered as there is a 80% risk in uterine cancer if female rabbits are not neutered :/

Sorry I pester you but it does worry me

Back