• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio advice please? *Bonding UD help please! 18/02

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Apologies for another trio bond thread but I could do with some help making this decision if anyone has some spare insight.

I've read the trio sticky and found it really informative, now I'm trying to think about the buns involved and their personalities/circumstances.

If you have time to read I'd welcome your thoughts :)

Finx - female, neutered, good health, bonded with Tango. I've had her since she was a baby (accidental litter). She's curious, confident and in charge of Tango but only just, it's pretty equal.

Tango - male, neutered, good health, bonded with Finx. Tango is a rescue bun who I adopted to keep Finx company and bonded at home. He's laid back but a bit less 'cuddly' for want of a better word. He is happy as long as he has food, space and Finx.

Pepper - male, neutered, good health but a little bit tubby! Has just lost his partner and now spends all day staring at the back door waiting for her return :( Was submissive and devoted to his partner but very nervous of humans. Has in the past been a sociable house bun and good friends with a cat, so I know he has it in him.

Any opinions on whether they might get on would be appreciated as I'm going round in circles!

Last edited:
I'm also hoping for a trio, so I can't offer any experienced advice, only you won't know until you try! :)

I'm still trying to work out if I can bond mine or get help from the rescue!

Are you not wanting to get another bun for the single buck? That would be the ideal situation, but if you don't want to go down that route, then you wouldn't know how it'd go until you try.

The only issue is if you end up with 3 single buns, then you might be in a bit of trouble! If you think you could potentially cope with that scenario then give it a go. :)

The single buck is my Mum's, she doesn't want to get another rabbit, having lost 2 she doesn't feel she can go through it again :(

It wouldn't be financially sensible for me to take on another doe right now. If we can bond a trio then Mum will keep up his insurance and help out a bit. I'm not struggling with my 2, but wasn't planning on taking on 2 more.

We're just trying to do what's best for Pepper :)

The single buck is my Mum's, she doesn't want to get another rabbit, having lost 2 she doesn't feel she can go through it again :(

It wouldn't be financially sensible for me to take on another doe right now. If we can bond a trio then Mum will keep up his insurance and help out a bit. I'm not struggling with my 2, but wasn't planning on taking on 2 more.

We're just trying to do what's best for Pepper :)

Then I would certainly give it a try, but be prepared for the worst case scenario. If your existing pair's bond breaks, then you could be looking at having 4 bunnies anyway!

I worried about this, but bonding Shadowfax with Fiver and Xena made their bond much better. They both groom each other now, whereas Xena never groomed Fiver and he would get quite upset about it. They would also chase and have arguments quite frequently, but now they only have a little chase at feeding time. :thumb:

For bonding a trio that's the best mix.

I tend to find that the bucks end up sitting in the corner having bonded in mins and the doe flirts around them for a number of days.
This happens whether it's a new one going in a pair or three rabbits that have never met.
This is my fav combination. So i think it would work and work well.

But as Vegan bunny says you won't know until you try :) good luck and keep us posted.

Pepper is here! He isn't taking parsley from me but did nibble some grass. Hope the move won't stress him out too much...

Any advice on how to help him settle in?

Keep everything quiet and calm. Let him explore, and take everything slowly. I find the best thing to do with a new bunny, is offer them some food and hay, and then leave them be for a little while. This lets them get used to their new home, without having to worry about a new human. Check on them frequently to make sure they are eating, and offer comforting nose rubs, if he wants them. :)

Just got in and checked on him, he is eating and using his litter tray, he came out to see me and did some periscoping but doesn't want nose rubs yet.

We have grooming and flopping bunnies!! Pepper was really relaxed so we tried them together.

We were going to try the dating method as that's how I bonded Finx and Tango, but it's going so well that we've arranged for me and Mum to do shifts so we can keep them together.

Wish us luck! Any tips appreciated :)

I have only done one bond (now a happy quad). Let them be in the bonding space for as long as possible so that when they move they are more used to each other. Moving tends to bring on a few scuffles/asserting dominance all over again.

I have heard people advise leaving them for at LEAST 48 hours with no fighting, chasing or fur pulling before considering moving them or increasing their space.

I left mine in the bonding pen (in my bedroom) for two weeks before putting them out in the shed. There was no problem at all when they moved and I opened up access to the run the next day.

Very best of luck.

Thanks :) should I give them a litter tray? At the moment they have just a pile of hay and a bowl of water

Make sure it's completely neutral, then try them with it.

Mine took a few days to accept a litter tray without getting territorial over it. :lol:

Ok thanks. They've been together for about 2 and a half hours and not one sign of aggression so far, just grooming, washing, hay munching and dozing :)

Ok thanks. They've been together for about 2 and a half hours and not one sign of aggression so far, just grooming, washing, hay munching and dozing :)

Excellent. :thumb: I do think keeping them together is better than dating, although all buns are different. I think it sounds like it's going well. :thumb:

This is adorable, 3 'dead bunny flops' in a heap at the same time.

Can't be this easy, I'm waiting for the scuffling to start! I'm freezing as had to bond indoors so have the heating off and the back door ajar. They have a litter tray now but no arguments, they are taking turns.

Excited! (Quietly, Finx is asleep).

Back