• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where is the best place to position a hutch?

As I've had to seperate my bunnies til they are neutered Jessie has her hutch and run on the grass and Faith is on the path closer the the house. We have a rather large garden with not much shelter. I would like to move Faith so she too is on the grass but the grass area is very open.

I'm not sure on where is best to position them to keep the bitter winds off them during the night. They have plenty of bedding and are covered over in the night to keep drafts out. I've purchased them both one of those microwave warmer things (forgotten the name) will this suffice enough to keep them warm if I were to move Faith onto the grass?

Thanks.

It's difficult to say without seeing the layout, but I've personally always put hutches against my fence in the most sheltered part of the garden to keep the wind off. I think if the run is not on grass that won't matter, if it's on grass/earth you'd be advised to mesh the bottom of the run anyway, then turf over the mesh to stop digging out by the buns or in by predators.

Thanks for your reply I shall try and post a photo tomorrow so you can see the layout. I think I'll keep the hutch where it is on the path and attach an extra run out on the grass for her to go in when supervised so she still has access to grass to chomp on in the day. I know Jessie loves being on the grass so find it unfair that Faith has no access to it from where she is.

The best place to position a hutch is one that is best protected form the weather.
This is something ideally you would know as its your garden you would know what way the rain and wind comes in most the time.

If placing by a wall/fence or shed leave about or just over 100cm from the wall to stop raising damp.

Thanks for the replies the most sheltered areas are where they are now as the wind tends to blow west and our house blocks the strong winds that come in. Unfortunately though I can't place it 100cm from the wall as I have discovered Faith likes to dig when out on the grass so for now it's on the path and roughly 60-70cm from the wall. The only other sheltered area is a corner where our fence meets the sheds but the hutch (7ft chicken coop) doesn't fit without blocking the main path.

They seem ok where they are and always happy when I greet them in a morning and open their hutches and hopefully the microwave warmer things will arrive in the post to give some extra warmth :)

Roll on the summer I say :) x

Back