• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding ages?

JacquiM

New Kit
Been thinking about getting Snow a wee friend for a while now, however, not sure on the ideal ages to be doing this. Snow is 17 months so should we be bonding her with a male of a similar age or can you have a successful bond with a younger rabbit? We don't want babies so should we have the male neutered (if he's not sorted already) before starting the bonding or can you start with the swapping cages\seeing each other through the bars before he goes for the op

Is Snow spayed ? That will be an essential as well as the neutering of a new Buck.

If you approach a local Rescue they could arrange for Snow to chose her own new friend (who will already be neutered) and the Rescue could also help you with the bonding process :)

I try to match ages if at all possible so they have a better chance of sharing the rest of their lives together. Your female is only young so you could get a male rabbit a year younger as it wouldn't make much difference. For a really happy bond both rabbits should be neutered.

No, she has not been spayed yet as we need to find a vet who would do this locally. We've been keeping an eye on the SSPCA site for re homing rabbits but not seen many boys so far. Pets at Home do a re homing service as well, would they help with the bonding or is it a case of you just taking the rabbit away with you?
Good to hear that she's not too old to have a younger buddy, if we struggle to find a suitable buck of her age :)

I don't think PAH bond, I don't think I would trust them myself. Have you had your female rabbit since she was a baby? If you find a neutered boy, or have one neutered yourself, you would have to introduce them in a neutral area, somewhere she has not been before. Female rabbits can be very territorial, especially when not neutered. We can give you lots of advice regarding bonding :)

I don't think PAH bond, I don't think I would trust them myself. Have you had your female rabbit since she was a baby? If you find a neutered boy, or have one neutered yourself, you would have to introduce them in a neutral area, somewhere she has not been before. Female rabbits can be very territorial, especially when not neutered. We can give you lots of advice regarding bonding :)

We've had Snow since she was 10 weeks old, moved to a new house at the end of Sept last year and she's got the run of the place, although we do try and keep her out of the bedrooms wherever possible. Guess the only rooms she hasn't been in are the kitchen and the bathroom, purely as they are not carpeted and she won't go onto tiles or laminate flooring. Guess that kinda restricts where we can bond :(

If you have a dog pen/cage or similar you could put it in the kitchen with something soft at the bottom, or paper?

Back